Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Loss of Father

omoir1

• Members

I just lost my father this past Monday 4/17/2017 to a long 8 year battle of many different things. He had a liver transplant that went terribly wrong but he somehow survived that. And he was getting better. And then he succumbed to a infection in the gut. 

I don't know how to handle this. He was my best friend. I'm getting married in 8 months too and the thought of him not being there is unbearable. 

My mom and my sister and I are all very close. However his side of the family has started to kick us out. His own brother is choosing to go to Mexico instead of his funeral. I'm just so angry and sad. How do I handle this. Any advice? Please help. 

• Members

Dear omoir,

My deepest sympathies and condolences on the loss of your father. I'm so sorry for your loss. I know the pain and sorrow is unbearable.

Continue to lean on your mom and sister for support during this difficult time. Be kind and gentle with yourself. Its not easy but just try to take it moment by moment.

I find these other websites might be helpful in knowing you are not alone in your thoughts and feelings. What's Your Grief, The Grief Healing Blog, GriefShare.Org and The Grief Recovery Method.

Sending you all my thoughts and prayers.

• Members

Hi Omoir, 

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know this is a little while later but I lost my dad a few weeks after you did and I'm finally accepting I need support so I thought I would still reach out. 

My dad was sick for a long time, with various different illnesses. He finally got the call Feb 15, 2017 for a multi organ transplant, he really only needed a new liver as his was failing due to a non alcoholic liver disease. However, a blood clot made it so that he needed to also have other organs transplanted at the same time. He fought for 4 months, but he never made it out of recovery. 

I still don't really know how to handle it either. He was my best friend, and although we don't have a date set yet (we didn't set one because the state of his health was so uncertain, and since he's passed I haven't been able to), the thought of not having him there is so hard to accept. 

I don't really have advice as I'm trying to figure out how to keep moving forward one day at a time, but I just read your message and it sounded so similar to my situation that I thought I would share and let you know you aren't alone. 

I hope your wedding was beautiful, I'm certain he was looking down over you. 

Sending you love, 

M

Archived