Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Why this now

Marcel

• Members

Yesterday was my wife's birthday. Last friday I had my last bottle of wine. Sunday just before midnight I had my last cigarette. I lit a candle and talked to her for while and I thought I would really quit smoking again this time. I got through the day ok, no cigarettes, no drinks.
This morning I discovered mould in our bedroom. Very strange one too. It may not mean much to some, but it's a big hassle. Finding the root cause, tearing down wall papers, if there's something underneath completely redo the walls. I was so annoyed I bought a new pack of cigarettes and a bottle of wine today.
My wife sometimes thought that she was cursed by someone. Sometimes I think that too. Everytime I think I can move a small step forward something happens that throws me right back.
Whenever I started some weightlifting again, I had some injury that stopped me right away. And I know how to do it and how to be careful when you start anew.
Whenever I started to play the guitar again I hurt my hand or something else happened that took that time away from me.
I just planned to get a grip on my daily routine with regular excercise, playing guitar, working on the house. No I can spend the weekend looking into this mess, hoping it was really just on the surface. Saying I'm pissed it more than an understatement.

• Members

Marcel

You had good intentions to quit some of your 'unhealthy' vices, and start some health ones, but don't let it derail you completely.   Giving up on your goals because of some setbacks is like slashing your other three tires because you got a flat.  Your setback is the platform for your comeback.  Funny, life has many ways of testing a person's will, either by having nothing happen at all or by having everything happen all at once.   Look for something positive in everyday, even if some days you have to look a little harder. - It's there.

You never said if you drank or smoked the cigarettes; only that you bought them. If you didn't, good for you; if you did, remember, the greatest glory is not in never failing but in rising up every time we fail. Good luck to you

• Members

Marcel, My husband and I had a saying that bad things happen in threes. The cliche can be so true. I started having setbacks a few weeks after my husband passed. I let those things overwhelm me, intensifying my grieving. Or maybe it was vice versa. Hang onto your faith, hold your chin up. You will get to where you want to be as you are meant to. This journey is full of those *one step forward and two back*.

• Moderators

Marcel,

You had a setback.  When you're done dealing with the mold, start again. 

Archived