Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

How do I move on

Lost.teen

• Members

I've recently lost my mother almost a month ago due to cancer and I've just been depressed about it and have no clue how to get passed the fact that she's gone and that I'll never get to see her again or get to hear her say I love you or anything ever again... so my question is how do I get passed being depressed and this feeling of being lost and alone? Just how to feel happy again?

• Members

Dear Lost.teen,

My deepest condolences and sympathies on the passing of your beloved mom. I'm so sorry for your loss. I know this is a very difficult time. I lost my father 5 months ago and I had the same questions as you. Please know everything you are feeling and thinking is normal and natural. Grief takes a long time to process. I wish there was an express train we could take to feeling better, but there isn't.

There are so many raw emotions that we go through after such a shocking loss. Maybe consider talking to a grief counsellor or joining a support group. I find these sites very helpful, What's Your Grief, Legacy, GriefShare.Org and The Grief Recovery Method. And continue to surround yourself with loving friends and family members.

So soon after a loss, I think all we can do is take baby steps to adapting to our new reality. Try to find something small every day that gives you joy or makes you happy. But also don't feel bad, if you find you are still struggling. Grief is not an easy journey.

Thinking of you. Please know you are not alone.  And we are all here to listen and support you.

Archived