Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Not sure how my little girl passed away. Need answers or help

mellekaye

• Members

Hi everyone.

On Friday I lost my 4 year old Bengal cat, Leila.

She will never leave the house for more than a few hours and when she didn't come home to eat on Thursday I knew something was up. I began putting posters up and did a letterbox drop to my closest neighbours at around 3pm on Friday. I had been walking the neighbourhood and calling her name with her biscuits in my hand. At 5.30pm I went to go for another round of calling when I saw my little girl lying on the road near my house. I collapsed and screamed, my neighbours and my whole family came running out of the house and helped me up off the floor and in that moment I had a good look at her. My bubba had been deceased for over 24 hours. I wont go into the details of the horrendous image I saw, but she was no longer my Leila, she looked so different.

Someone had strategically placed her there after seeing the letter in their letterbox. I have been a mess ever since I found her. I have been yelling and crying in pain, I haven't been able to get on with my routine, I haven't been able to go back to work. The house is empty, she is gone, and things don't feel right. The way this all happened has affected me more than I could explain.

I am making myself sick trying to found out what happened to her. Was she hit by a car? Was this an act of cruelty? Did she suffer, was she lying out in the cold still alive waiting for her Mummy to come and rescue her?

Leila had a wound on her head but the rest of her body was unscathed. Has anyone had experience with losing a pet this way? Can you offer me some advice or how I could go about finding out what happened to her? I will continue to stress about it until I find out. I have asked my neighbours but I don't think anyone is game enough to fess up. I know it was one of them because why else would they put her out on the road after me pleading to everyone to please help me find her and that I wasn't coping.

Has anyone gotten in touch with an animal medium or communicator to find out what happened to their baby? I'm scared that I wont get the answer that I want.

Any help is appreciated. Kind regards, Mel.

• Members

I'm very sorry about the loss of Leila. I had a young cat who I had just adopted and had a vet appointment one morning. As I was going out to the store, he zipped out of the house, and we joked "he was trying to escape before he got snipped." I didn't think anything of him running off; he usually came home just a short time later. 

Well, he didn't show up for hours. We looked for him, but didn't see him. As we were hollering for him, our neighbor walked up and said"

"Are you missing a cat?" 

I said, "Yes." 

She said, "A yellow, tabby cat?" 

I said, "yes." 

She said, "Well, it's laying over in my yard dead. It obviously got run over. Can you come scrape him up and get him out of my yard?" 

She said that in FRONT of my four young children. They took off running toward my poor little cat, and I had to jump in front of them and stop them. My husband ran over there and nearly got sick. He went back to take care of things. 

I was so very ANGRY at that woman for being so cold and rude in front of my kids! And I felt so bad for my poor fur baby. Someone had hit him and run off. We laid him to rest and conducted a nice funeral. We buried him in a blanket he loved to sleep on. My kids were so traumatized by that woman. We never got along after that, and I was thrilled when she moved. 

It took awhile, but we were able to move forward from all that, and we've actually rescued four more cats in his honor. :)

We will be here with you,

ModKonnie

• Moderators

Wow, ModKonnie, that is horrible!  I can't imagine anyone being so cruel and heartless, but there's all kinds.

mellekaye,  I am so sorry for your loss.  I lost my Miss Mocha June 3rd but never got her remains.  I believe she was gotten by an animal/predator such as a large bird or cougar, but I'll never know 100% for sure.  On a grief site someone posted their kid was a medium and said she was locked in a confined space, unable to get out.  That infuriated me!  No way would that happen!  For one thing she'd never run away from home, she was very happy here.  For another thing, I contacted all of the neighbors and no one saw anything, I asked them all to look in their garages and shed...nothing.  The thought of her being in a confined space unable to get out was a worse fate than an animal getting her which would be over and done with rather quickly, in which case she would have gone into shock, which would protect her from awareness of what was happening or pain.  I live in the country, we have a forest in our back yard, so that is the most likely fate.  I was just so mad that a "medium" could concoct such a story that obviously would be upsetting.  Be careful consulting mediums, there's all kinds, some that fancy themselves something they're not.

Whatever the trauma she suffered, that it left a fatal blow it was probably something very quick and very little suffering ensued.  You have my condolences and I'm glad you're able to take care of her remains.  I think I'd have felt a whole lot better if I could have buried my Miss Mocha and put up a grave marker.  She was my sweet little girl that slept with me for 10 1/2 years, the prettiest little girl I've ever seen with the daintiest voice and feminine wiles.

• Members

Oh my KayC,

I hope I'm not upsetting anyone with this statement--but I just don't believe in mediums. I've heard of some real quackery, and this is just another story to support that. I'd rather my precious pets die naturally fighting or something rather than being starving or trapped. And, since you live with a forested back-yard, she probably did come in contact with a predator. I was feeding a stray cat for weeks when we saw coyotes in our neighborhood. My stray disappeared that night. I've always assumed the poor thing met its fate with those wild beasts. 

ModKonnie

• Moderators
18 hours ago, ModKonnie said:

Oh my KayC,

I hope I'm not upsetting anyone with this statement--but I just don't believe in mediums. I've heard of some real quackery, and this is just another story to support that. I'd rather my precious pets die naturally fighting or something rather than being starving or trapped. And, since you live with a forested back-yard, she probably did come in contact with a predator. I was feeding a stray cat for weeks when we saw coyotes in our neighborhood. My stray disappeared that night. I've always assumed the poor thing met its fate with those wild beasts. 

ModKonnie

It's not my belief either.  I have never gone to a medium.  This was all relayed to someone on another grief site where I had posted my story about my little Miss Mocha disappearing.  This person said her son's GF was a medium and stated she was stuck someplace and couldn't get out, like someone was holding her in their garage or something!  I was furious!  If I'd wanted her opinion I would have asked for it.  Perhaps she wanted me to contact her (for a fee) for more information, but she was amiss if she thought that.  I mean, to go to a grief site and pour your heart out about losing your cat and then get hit with this when you are most vulnerable, that is just so wrong.  This did NOT comfort me!  The worst thing we can think of for our pets would be they are without us fighting for our lives and us unable to help them.  

I'd had Miss Mocha 10 1/2 years, she came to me as an adult, I didn't know her age.  BUT she seemed in good health, wasn't having any physical problems, so she didn't just "go off to die".  She used to sleep with me every night, she was very loving, she was happy to be here.  Heck, she CHOSE to live here, she adopted me!  I found her living in the top of my garage, she'd probably been dumped here as people sometimes take their cats out into the woods and drop them off.  She was so beautiful, so special.  She was very flirtatious, she had a dainty little meow, she'd blink-blink her pretty blue eyes and roll side to side.  She loved men!  She loved dogs.  She must have had a dog in her life when she was a kitten.  She was very brave, even with my son's Huskies that were rambunctious.  She didn't want them to think she'd leave on account of them, so she'd tolerate them for some time, trying not to show fear at their antics and then meander off nonchalantly after a time, like it wasn't on account of them. :)  I still miss her and it's been 9 1/2 months she's been gone.  This is a quiet dead end street, I've lived here 40 years, I know the neighbors, there's a cat rescue across the street.  No one is likely to have kidnapped her.  She wasn't hit by a car.  I can't think of any possibility other than prey getting her.  Normally cougars don't come around in the daytime, and this was daylight, but it could have been one or it could have been a large bird.  I was outside with her and never heard anything the entire day I was out doing yardwork.  But it only took a moment for something to catch her off guard...and when they do that, their prey goes into shock as death comes quickly.  That is my only consolation, that it was over with quickly.  That she at least got a good life with me where she wanted to be.  I will always miss her.

But honestly, "mediums" should keep their mouths shut unless asked for their opinion.

Miss Mocha.jpg

Archived