Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Dreams: a way of communication?

Steve Cavanaugh

• Members
Steve Cavanaugh

A couple of months after Sophia died, I dreamt of her. Even in my dream, I was aware that she's no longer there. She was looking ghostly in the dream. So I asked her what she was doing so she said that I've come to visit and I got so furious. i said had you never left, there wouldn't be any need to visit. And i even said that you'd be totally happy on the other side with your Mom and Dad but you don't care about me and stuff... So she said that it's a misconception that after death is a "better place". She said that she could see me and everyone else and what hurt more was that I couldn't see her. And she said after death isn't a great place to be because now life is eternal and she has to live without the people she left behind.

I know the dream's totally weird. I probably had that dream because I was reading Lovely Bones that night :):)But do you think it is true? Was she actually trying to convey that she was sad without me too? Do you think there exists an "other side" where they can see everything?

I am so sorry if I have spooked you guys out.

• Members
Solomon'sGirl

I'm not spooked by this. I believe they can see us, feel us, all that. It might sound weird to say this, but it would be nice in a way to know that they do miss us. Maybe they are a bit frustrated that we can't communicate easily. However, I believe that time on the other side isn't like time here. That they're at peace with how things are because they aren't exactly waiting like we are. They're much more aware and knowledgable than we are, so they aren't hurting like we are. 

• Members

I hate the saying "they're in a better place." It only reaffirms my feelings about this world now, that it's dull and pointless. If there is an other side, and I want so so deeply to believe there is, then I imagine it would have some bad elements as well as good ones. Maybe on the other side we are more enlightened and have less to worry about, but I hate the idea that my love is over there living it up without a care in the world and not even missing me or wishing she could easily contact me. 

One thing is though, I think it's hard for them to be without us but they do at least have knowledge that life is eternal and that someday we will join them in that eternity. Maybe that's why their level of missing us isn't as intense as it is for us. Maybe they know for sure where we can only speculate and hope. I know that if I knew 100% for sure that i would see my love again, things would be just a little bit easier.

• Moderators

The first time George was in one of my dreams was about 1-2 years after his death.  In the dream I got mad at him, demanded to know where he'd been!  In real life I wouldn't be mad at him, so not sure why in the dream.  Afterwards I wondered why I hadn't just enjoyed seeing him instead of wasting time being mad, but maybe I was in the angry part of grief, I don't know.

• Members
KavitaHubby

There is no right or wrong answer to this questions. Some days I believe and some days don't. I haven't had any dreams where she communicated with me (I am more than 6 months out). Most of my dreams she is not alive but did had some strange encounters like one day I was half sleep and felt she is trying to kiss me and want to sleep with me but again our minds are complex thing and can show or make us feel different things. Some days it gives me relief thinking one day I will be able to meet her and other day it becomes pain that might be too long before we meet if that is going to happen at all.

Hugs

Manoj

• Members

I think that's the worst part for me, the fact that we don't, won't and can't know what happens.

Sometimes I dream of her and for a little while, I feel OK. I convince myself that she communicated to me somehow. But sometimes I think too much and wonder if it's just my mind showing me what it most wishes for. I wonder if there truly is nothing after death, that once we're gone that's just it, that my love no longer exists anywhere at all and no longer has any presence anywhere. 

What if death is just the end? What if we die and then we are just...gone? What if our consciousness and our personalities and all of that truly are contained within our brains, and once our brains die that's just it? 

We know that the brain does hold memory, in that plenty of brain disorders impact our memory. My girl herself was having some memory issues, minor, but still noticeable, not long before she passed, which indicates that yes, there was something horrrible going on in her brain. So if our consciousness can be so deeply impacted and affected by the condition of our physical brain, how would any of that "transfer" into spiritual consciousness when the brain dies? Maybe they exist in spirit but they don't remember things, since that's part of the brain? It's so scary.

I want so desperately to believe she is out there in another form and someday we will meet again. But other times, like today, I just wonder if there is anything to hope for at all. I wonder what the point of my own life is, what the point of any of it is.

• Guests

Steve, I really hope so. I mean, at this point I accept that I know nothing. That anything is possible after death.
If I see my gran's name somewhere I'd take that as a major sign. really need something

Archived