Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

I lost my older brother

IMissYouBrian

• Members
IMissYouBrian

I lost my 31 year old brother due to a heart attack/drug overdose over the weekend. He struggled with drug addiction since he was 15 and led a very difficult and arduous life. He was constantly riding a roller coaster of ups and downs, but he somehow always managed to hang in there over the many years. 

He had just come back from an eight month rehab in Arizona a few weeks ago. We were all so happy for him and had just celebrated his birthday on March  9th.  Everything finally seemed to be falling into place for him. He was going to NA meetings and was soon going to get back into his union job. 

On the 12th my mother and I received the reality shattering phone call from my brother'e ex wife. The moment my mom broke the news to my dad over the phone continues to play over and over in my mind:

Shakily, my mother asked if my dad knew why she was calling. He responded with a worried 'no...'. My mom then cried out in horror "They found Brian in Queens!!!". I don't think I'll ever be able to forget the sound of my dad's howl of agony and despair as it blasted through the receiver.

My brother was found dead in a hotel room in Queens. My family and I are completely devastated. 

We had always feared this day would eventually come, but none of us ever expected it would happen at a time like this. 

I've cried more these past few days than I have over the past ten years. Every time I start to think I don't have any more tears to shed I have another break down. It's just so raw and surreal. He was such a strong, healthy, promising young man, and now he's gone.  Everything feels different and hopeless now, like a founding pillar of my life has just crumbled away. I find myself appreciating all the things about him that I hadn't given thought to before. It makes me feel immense heartbreaking guilt. I just want to hear his voice again. 

• Members

Dear IMissYouBrian,

Thinking of you and your family during this difficult time. Everything you are saying and feeling is natural and normal. I know there are no good words at such a sad time. I feel your pain and sorrow. Sending all my thoughts and prayers.

• Members
Cindy dunkin

So sorry for your loss. Prayers for you and your family. I too lost my sister to drugs just got the call Sunday. Worst pain I've ever felt. The pain and guilt are unbearable. I just come across this sire hoping to learn how to deal with the guilt. Stay strong prayers for you

Archived