Online Grief Support, Help for Coping with Loss | Beyond Indigo Forums
  • Announcements

• ModKonnie

Advertisements   09/05/2017

Hi all,  I'm sure you've noticed some changes in the forums. We've again had to do some updates, so that's why things may look a little different. Nothing major should have changed.  Also, we are going to start adding advertisements sensitive to our community on the boards. This is something we are experimenting with, and we will certainly make sure they are in the best interests of everyone. We want to make sure our forums continue to stay accessible and cost free to all of our members, and this is a way to ensure this.  If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to privately message me or email me at Konnie@beyondindigo.com.  As always, we will be here with you, ModKonnie
Zara19

Anti-depressants and Grief.

KayC   

Claribassist,

You didn't say there's another point to consider, you said my statement is inaccurate.  I didn't make anything up, I don't lie.  I am stating MY experience of what I have been told in twelve years interaction with grief counselors and read hundreds of articles.  You can disagree and that's your prerogative.

That a traumatic event can alter one's brain does not surprise me in the least.  I have often related our grief experience with brain trauma because that is what it feels like and how it seems to respond.

Zara19   

Thank you all again for your responses.

After 23 weeks of declining medication I have had to yield.  I have been taking for 3 days a 20mg od PROZAC.  I am taking this to save my family from having to endure my continuing negative behaviours such as tearfulness, not getting up, agitation etc, etc.  I hope I am not doing the wrong thing but I am becoming extremely hard to live with.

KMB   

Zara---You are enduring the traumatic loss of your husband. The intensity of our grieving equals the intensity of how much we loved. It is going to take a very long time to get ourselves to a somewhat stable level of existing with our loss. I give you much credit for thinking of saving your family from your grieving. I just hope they are being as understanding and supportive as possible. Your behaviors are NOT negative. Your behaviors are the very normal reactions of grieving. (HUGS)

Zara19   

Thank you so much KMB.  My family (Mum and Brother) are now no longer supportive and find me somewhat tiresome.  I see myself as a burden now ( I had to move back to family home for now after losing my Husband as I was too distressed to be in our own home ). 

They wonder why I cry and why I can't help being irritable. I try not to get snappy but I always let myself down - my Husband would not be pleased.  Sorry to be moaning.

Hope you have an OK day KMB.  Warmest regards.

KayC   

I think that is the point Claribassist13 was trying to make, sometimes someone needs some help to get through this, that it's preferable to exhibiting negative behavior, your grief counselor and doctor combined should be able to come to that determination.  I wish they would work together and communicate to come to prognosis, but often they don't collaborate but work independently.  You've started on the Prozac so it'll be important to use it with your doctor's care and not abruptly discontinue it, also it can take up to a month to take full effect, so give it time, although usually you'll notice some difference in less time than that.

Hey Zara just let us know how you're doing with the medication and overall with your sense of well being.
You're not a burden, you've just faced a terrible event, I just hope your family can understand that..

Zara19   

Thanks KayC and new 133.  I really appreciate your comments and wish you both well as well.

KMB   

Zara19---I'm sorry your family isn't being more supportive. Grieving is different for everyone, we will live with our loss the rest of our life. You are NOT letting yourself down and you are NOT a burden. You are trying to cope with a major, irreplaceable loss in your life. Have you given any thought to living on your own again? Maybe putting a little time and distance away from your family might help. Or if it is possible to stay with a friend for a bit. Maybe everyone just needs a little space, a breather if you will. Please keep letting us know how you are doing.  (HUGS)

Zara19   

Thank you KMB.  It's such a shame my married home and marital home is 25 miles between.  Thank you for your kind comments.  I hope you are bearing up as well.