Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Loss of my Cat

Lindsay967

• Members

I am really struggling with the death of my 15 year old cat, Moo. I made the choice to put him down on Wednesday after a long happy life together. We were best friends. I got him for my tenth birthday, we did everything together. I knew he had kidney disease, but I had him on a special diet and medication until he started bleeding from his back end on Tuesday. We went to the vet and he told me it would cost thousands to just figure out what exactly was causing him so much discomfort. He stopped eating, drinking. But part of me still thinks I made a horrible choice to end his life. He wasn't looking good but I keep thinking, what if he got better. The vet gave me an option to take him home for a few weeks with new medication, but it likely wouldn't have worked. I feel so guilty for it. What if he had more time here and I took it away from him. The thought of never seeing him again kills me. If anyone has any advice, it might help me...

• Members

I'm sorry you had to make that difficult decision for your best friend, Moo. You loved him, didn't want to see him suffer and made the best choice possible with the information you had. When an animal stops eating and drinking, it is not a good sign. Kidney disease is always fatal. The special diet and meds were buying Moo time, and his body was saying it was time. You have nothing to feel guilty about. Moo was 15, that is a really good, long life for a cat, especially with kidney disease. He had a long, loving home life with you. I know how painful it is to lose a pet. They are always there for you, there are many great memories. They are a family member and leave a void when they are gone. You figured a new medication might not have worked. You are most likely right. The kidneys flush toxins out the system and a new medication might have compromised his kidneys further. You made a selfless act of love by ending Moo's suffering. I feel your pain of loss.You are going to be grieving for a long time. Carry Moo's love and memories in your heart.

• Members

Thank you so much. I appreciate your kind words, they make me feel less guilty. I'm so glad I'm not alone in this. 

• Moderators

I'm so sorry, Lindsay, I know how hard this is, I've been there with my pets too many times over the years, and it's never an easy decision to make.  I try to do what is best for them, not me, so they don't suffer unduly, and when their quality of life is outweighed with pain and discomfort...it's time.  Don't look back on your decision and second guess yourself, you did what was best for Moo as any loving parent would.  You had 15 good years with Moo, that's more than many cats have, yet I know no matter how many years we get with them, it never seems enough.  

Second guessing ourselves with the what ifs are part of grief, but I hope you can accept you did the best you could for him.  I hope this article will be of some help to you:
http://media.wix.com/ugd/0dd4a5_e934e7f92d104d31bcb334d6c6d63974.pdf

Archived