Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

How do I go on without my husband?

lp91679

• Members

Tomorrow will make four months since I unexpectedly lost my 34 year old husband. We've been together for twenty years, since we were teenagers. We have three beautiful children together. They are the only thing keeping me going. I just don't know how I'm going to go on without the love of my life. We were together more than half of our lives. I feel this emptiness. Nothing will ever be the same without him. I miss my husband so much it hurts. 

• Moderators

lp91679,

Your husband was far too young, I am so sorry for your, and your children's loss.  The emptiness and pain haunts us all.  The grief seems unbearable at times, and the change will affect us for the rest of our lives.  Just take it one moment at a time.  We are here to listen and offer what support and comfort we can.  Hoping you find some peace,

Herc

• Members

lp91679

1 hour ago, lp91679 said:

Tomorrow will make four months since I unexpectedly lost my 34 year old husband. We've been together for twenty years, since we were teenagers. We have three beautiful children together. They are the only thing keeping me going. I just don't know how I'm going to go on without the love of my life. We were together more than half of our lives. I feel this emptiness. Nothing will ever be the same without him. I miss my husband so much it hurts. 

I'm so sorry for your loss and feel your pain.  Tomorrow will mark three months since I lost the love of my life, my husband, Charles.  We were together for nearly 45 years and they were the best years of my life - wouldn't trade them for anything in the world.   Your loved one was so young and it appears you loved a lifetime in that small amount of time.  Try not so much to think about his death; but about his life and how fuller and richer you and the children are as a result of it.   One of the greatest legacies he could have left you are the happy memories; the memories you and he made together; the memories that make you smile no matter what is going on in your life right now. It is not so much the years in his life that counted, it's the life in his years. Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.   As long as you live, he too will live; he is a part of you forever.  He may not be here with you in person, but his love will always stay beside you, around you, to protect you.  

You are going to go on because you MUST and he would have wanted you to, if not for yourself, than for the children who need you more than ever.  He was your strength, but now you are theirs.  Think not so much as 'moving on', but rather, 'moving forward'.  As you move forward, you will always do so with your loved one by our side, in your heart, within your very breath.  They are part of you now and always,  You move forward with them and continue to engage in life because of their inspiration and love.

I think happiness keeps us sweet; trials keeps us strong; sorrow keeps us human; failures keeps us humble and God, keeps us going.  My prayer is we both find the strength to keep going, especially tomorrow.  Keep Strong and God Bless you, bless us all.

• Members

Ip91679----I am so very sorry for you and your children. Your very long time love and yet he passed so young. He left you the legacy of your children, a part of him lives on in them and he will live on in your heart. A lot of quality went into the years you shared. That quality of life and love shared will help you and your children to endure and support each other on your journey. Peace, love and comfort. We, on this forum are here for you.

• Moderators

lp,

I am so sorry for your loss.  34, the same age as my daughter.  She's been with her husband since she was nearly 18.  That's way too young.  My husband was 51 and I thought that too young.  

We will be here to go through it with you if you want us to.  One day at a time, remember to breathe.  Keep posting, it helps to know you're heard and understood, it gives validation to all you are going through.  Try not to think about the "how" right now, just get through today.  (((hugs)))

• Members

Thank you KayC. I am trying to take it one day at a time, but some days I think into the future...a future without my husband. The future we will never have together. Today makes four months since he's been gone and it feels like an eternity..And like it was just yesterday all at the same time.  I just want him back. :-(

• Members

Thank you to everyone who posted these replies to me...your words and kindness mean more than I can put into words. I am sorry for all of your losses also. I'm glad we are here to support each other. 

• Members

Ip91679---We may be strangers, but we have a common bond, the pain of losing our significant others, the center of our life. Being forced into a strange existence without them. God have mercy on us all.

• Moderators
16 hours ago, lp91679 said:

it feels like an eternity..And like it was just yesterday all at the same time

I was just mentioning this on my other forum today.  It's weird, like a time warp.

• Moderators
19 hours ago, uadialej said:

You will go on because you MUST and he would have wanted you to, if not for yourself, then for the children who need you more than ever. 

uadialej,

Welcome to this site.  Perhaps you can share your story with us, when you are ready.  I notice your url is a love advice site, have you experienced a loss of partner to death?

Archived