Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Severe anxiety after sudden death of mother

jemv4

• Members

My mother very unexpectedly died 5 weeks ago at the young age of 58.  My two brothers, aunt, grandmother, and I were there when she passed, and I was holding her hand. It was such an awful experience, and I remember how cold she got so quickly after her last breath and her heart stopped.  For the first few weeks I was feeling sort of okay, but two weeks ago I started having terrible anxiety - heart palpitations, dizziness, chest pain, feeling lightheaded and like I'm going to pass out, nausea.  I've been to the ER twice.  I actually have a heart arrhythmia so I thought I could be having one of those episodes I have when it flairs up.  The doctors checked me out - EKG and blood tests and said I was fine.  They encouraged me to talk to someone about my mother's death and I've started to see a grief counselor.  The past week I've felt a bit better than before, but then this morning on my way into work, it came on again - heart palpitations, dizziness, etc.  And, I've been feeling off and foggy all day since then.  Has anyone else experienced this?  And, how long will it last?  I feel like it's completely ruining my life. 

• Members

Hello Jem

I am truly sorry for your loss, although words are not enough I know.

It's been 21 weeks since my loss but my palpitations are feel like they are thudding through my ribs most of the day for weeks and weeks.  My head feels like it's swelling inside and the heartburn from my anxious stomach is forever persistent.  I am so sorry I can't be more positive for you but I wanted you to know physical symptoms as well as emotional can be truly hard to cope with.  Kindest wishes to you.

• Members

Dear Jem,

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know its very hard to witness the passing of your beloved and cherished mom. Sometimes our minds and bodies are still processing the shock and trauma of this very difficult loss. Glad you are seeing a counselor and I hope she or he can give you some suggestions on how to cope with this enormous loss. I felt like an elephant was sitting on my chest after my father passed away. This lasted for three months. But almost 5 months later, I am still tearful and in denial at times. There is not a right way or wrong way to grieve. Try to take care of yourself the best you can. And continue to follow up with your doctor. Thinking of you.

• Members

Reader and Zara - thanks for your replies and encouraging words.  I hope time will help.  I'm so sorry for your losses.  

Archived