Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Just lost my father

Doddleman

• Members

My father passed away just over a week ago following my Mother passing away just over three years ago. 

It was always just the three of us against the world and now I'm totally alone. I have friends and cousins but they all live many miles away so I am completely and utterly alone.

After he died I have to go to an empty house alone and I've been grieving totally alone. 

I can function, I can get things done. But the absence of him and the aloneness is crippling. Plus the guilt that he passed when I wasn't with him because I was out, something I very rarely did. Sometimes I wish I'd just not wake up.

• Members

Dear Doddleman,

My deepest sympathies and condolences on the passing of your beloved father. I'm so sorry for your loss. I know its very hard. I can relate to what you are saying because it was been me and my dad for the past 20 years. He passed away four months ago. I feel your pain. Its so hard coming home to an empty house. I expect to see my dad and to know he is gone is something I never imagined. I just had it in my head we would have each for a lot longer. Please try be kind and gentle with yourself through this very difficult time.

I know its not easy but try to reach out through work or church or friends. If you want, consider talking to a counselor or joining a support group. I find this website very helpful in understanding my feelings and emotions called What's Your Grief.

Please know that you are not alone. We are all here with you. Try to take it day by day. Every day still hurts without my dad, but I know he would want me to keep going the best I can. I hope you will too. Take care of yourself. Thinking of you.

• Members

I feel you. My mother recently passed away unexpectedly. I don't come from a close knit family but it was her and I against the world. She was more than my mom she was my friend. I too felt like I didn't want to wake up some days, but I then remembered that life is a package deal. We all have a birth and death date. I know like my mom your dad would want you to go on. Try to find peace and ways to be happy. Life is meant to be shared so i pray you find some one or a group even if it's this online community to share with. This is not the end. It's is a difficult chapter but I promise there is plenty more to come. Stay strong but allow yourself to feel it all. God bless you 

Archived