Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

It doesn't seem real!

music101

• Members

I lost my dad suddenly 3 years ago and it still just doesn't seem real. Sure, there are times that it really hits me, but some days I have the realization that he'll never come home or that I'll never see him again and it just crushes me. It's like I'm hearing the news all over again. I've been really angry about it all lately and it's like I lost all certainty in my life. I was only 16 and he and I were really, really close. I know that he's gone but in a way it seems like I don't believe it. 

• Members

Dear music101,

My deepest sympathies and condolences on the passing of your father. I'm so sorry for your loss. I can relate to what you are saying. I loss my dad four months ago. Everything you are feeling and saying is part of grief. You are at another turning point in your life almost starting your 20s. Its very painful to think your dad is not here to share in this part of your life. I would be angry too. I'm still angry at the whole world that my dad is gone. I know life is horribly unfair. Please don't be afraid to reach out for help. Have you considered talking to a bereavement counselor? Or joining a support group? There are so many emotions, I sometimes think it would help to speak with a professional. Thinking of you.

• Members

Very sorry to hear about your loss.  At such a young age it's a horrific situation to have to go through and you are doing the right thing by writing down thoughts and asking for opinions.  I also get the same feelings about my late mother and it's usually when my life is starting to feel normal again.  I suddenly get reminded of whats happened and then I ask myself - did this actually happen>  

What you are feeling is part of the natural grieving process so please don't think there's something wrong with having feelings and thoughts like this.  It might be worth looking for a local support group to talk about it as there will be other people who have gone through a loss like this, and it would help to express your thoughts about how you are feeling. Take care of yourself and try to think think of how your Dad would want you to live your life.  I'm sure he would very proud of you.   

Archived