Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Loss of both parents in a year

ldehaan1

• Members

I am an only child who has lost both parents through Hospice within a years time. I found my mother on the morning of the 13th and I am going crazy living in the same apartment complex that they both died in. I was the caregiver to both. I have no money because I am on disability, but I cannot stand to go outside unless I am getting away from this place. Please help me deal with this.

• Members

Do you have other family members--uncles, aunts, cousins? Do you have friends that you can reach out to talk to? So, do you not leave your home for anything? Have you considered a face-to-face self help group or individual, personal counseling? 

You need to talk to others, whether it is here or in person about how you are feeling. This is the best way to get through this ordeal. 

We will be here with you,

ModKonnie

• Members

No I don't have any Aunt's or uncles or cousins that are close. I go out of the house to get groceries or take out the trash. I cannot drive due to my disability. My husband, son and daughter are doing what they can but they have their lives. I reached out to a friend but was told to "send her an email" by her husband. Last year after my dad died I got really sick and don't want it to happen again.

• Members

Dear Idehaan,

My deepest sympathies and condolences on the loss of your mom and dad. I'm so sorry for the pain and sorrow. Its a lot for one person to go through in a short period of time. During grief it often feels like the walls are closing in on us. And we are all alone. Its hard to know where to look for help. I know everyone has their lives, but I'm sure if your husband, son and daughter knew the pain you were feeling, they would try and get you the help you needed. I know you mentioned you are on disability. But there are still so many community resources available. I would call the town office or check through the church or speak with a social worker. There is something out there for you. I hope you will consider getting counseling or joining a support group. Take care. Thinking of you during this difficult time.

Archived