Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Scared for the health of family members particularly remaining parent?

Lisiloo

• Members

Anyone find they're almost over protective of family members, particularly their other parent? Worry so much for my Dad as obviously he's not getting any younger and the thought of losing him scares me and makes me very anxious? This isn't a sudden reaction to losing my mum as that happened in 2007 but has got worse since then.

• Members

I completely understand. Has your dad developed health issues or a specific reason for you to worry about him or is this just a generalised anxiety/fear of *something bad* happening at some point in the future? If its the first, then knowledge is power. Read up everything you can about it and maybe speak with his doctors for some life style advice. If its the latter, have you considered speaking to a counsellor/therapist? worrying about people we love is completely natural but if its getting to the point where its really affecting the quality of your life or debilitating you in any way then I think speaking to someone would be very helpful for you. I'm sure thats not what your dad would want for you either. With health issues its good to be vigilant, but not fearful. The first is sensible, the second is just going to depress us and prevent us enjoying the time that we do have with those we love.

Archived