Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

I find myself questioning God

argkangie

• Members

I find myself questioning God, first my father unexpectedly passed away on Father's Day 2008, one month shy of his 51st birthday and now my 33 year old sister overdosed and passed away on the 18th of January and all I have are question's, so many what if's. I am so afraid of there not being any after life, never seeing my loved ones ever again and if I am never going to be with my loved ones again then really what's the sense of living? It feels pointless

• Members

Dear argkangie,

Thank you for expressing these thoughts. I too feel the same way since my dad's passing last year. I seem to have more questions then answers as well. My brain is more logical. I want facts. So I really don't know if there is an afterlife. But I hope there is. My dad is resting in the cemetery. I would like to think his spirit or soul is in peace. And that he is reunited with his friends. In my mind, hopefully having a cigarette and coffee and laughing and enjoying his day.

I know its hard to carry on after such losing your beloved father and sister. Life is so unfair. I wish so badly for all us on this site to be able to be with our loved ones again. I hope its true. And maybe I have to tell myself it is true so that I can keep going. Its what my father would have wanted for me.

Thinking of you. Sending you love and hugs during this difficult time.

• Members

Hi argkangie,

There is nothing wrong with questioning God, especially when it comes to the loved ones we have lost. I personally believe God provides the answers, but only to those who "have ears to hear and eyes to see" as written in Mat 11:15 and various other places in the Scriptures. However, you might be very surprised to learn how that not many at all have ears to hear and eyes to see, in part because they do not believe the Scriptures. So because the many do not believe the Scriptures, they tend to make up their own beliefs which lead to divisions. 

Having said all of that, the Scriptures are very clear as to what happens when a person dies. It's very simple and even a child can understand, but you gotta believe it.

Ecc 9:5  The living are conscious that death will come to them, but the dead are not conscious of anything, and they no longer have a reward, because there is no memory of them.

Notice how "the living"  having a consciousness is contrasted to "the dead" being unconscious. People who are alive are aware that they will die because they are conscious and still able to think (usually), but people who are dead are unaware of anything because they are unconscious. There is a second witness to support this.

Ecc 9:10  Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.

And a third witness.

Psa 146:4  His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth (unto dust shalt thou return-Gen_3:19); in that very day his thoughts perish.

So contrary to popular belief when a person dies they are really dead and not really alive in another location such as Heaven or Hell. But this isn't the end of a person as Jesus promises a coming Resurrection of the dead. It's a promise you can bank on which guarantees that you will no doubt see your father again.

One of my favorite promises found in the Scriptures is one my grandmother read to me as a child to comfort me. A child who's mother was murdered and taken away too early. May it comfort you as well.

Isa_25:8  He will swallow up death in victory; and the Lord GOD will wipe away tears from off ALL FACES; and the rebuke of his people shall he take away from off all the earth: for the LORD hath spoken it.

Rev 21:4  And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

Imagine that :)

I want to share this study paper with you which has helped me immensly with putting my mind at ease concerning my loved ones. The writer of the paper expounds on the idea that the dead are really dead as it's written in the Scriptures.

https://bible-truths.com/death.htm     - AN ENCOURAGING THOUGHT ABOUT DEATH

Peace and God bless you argkangie and my sincere condolences to you for the loss of your sister and father.

• Members

After all horrible events in my life i still believe in God. But for me, God is just jealous for our love to each other. God can't stand that we are able to love someone more than own life. Probably more than him.

• Members

Growing up in a religious house I've never questioned God until 8/21/17. That's when my mom died from ovarian cancer. She was diagnosed in  May and in August she was gone. I prayed so much during those 4 months and I feel like it was useless. I was so angry at God! I'm completely devistated by mom's death. She was a great person, always caring about others. It just isn't fair!

• Members

I have no idea why bad things happen to good people, but they just do. I don't blame God; in fact, without Him, I couldn't get through some of the stuff life has thrown at me. 

I know God has a plan for all of us. I just don't understand it much of the time. It's okay, though. I still believe in Him, and always will. 

ModKonnie

• Members

Dear Tanya,

My deepest sympathies and condolences. I am so sorry for your loss.

I know it hurts right now. And you are right, life is not fair and I certainly don't have the answers. I wish I did.

I know you did everything you could to help your mom and ask for God's help. I think we all do. It wasn't useless if it gave you and your mom some comfort and hope. We all have to have hope even during the most trying times in life.

Thinking of you and your family. My thoughts are with you during this sad time.

• Members
On 2/13/2017 at 9:01 PM, argkangie said:

I find myself questioning God, first my father unexpectedly passed away on Father's Day 2008, one month shy of his 51st birthday and now my 33 year old sister overdosed and passed away on the 18th of January and all I have are question's, so many what if's. I am so afraid of there not being any after life, never seeing my loved ones ever again and if I am never going to be with my loved ones again then really what's the sense of living? It feels pointless

Hi @argkangie,

I'm so sorry for your loss. I recently felt the same way when my husband passed suddenly and tragically at 33 years old 3 weeks ago. I remember having the distinct and specific thought "God, why did you take him away from me?" and I was angry. Like, why me? Why him? Why now? etc.

A little while later, I received a Facebook message from a friend and fellow member of our old church (we recently moved away to another state) . She and her son were at church and her son said he wanted to find me (he would always wave to me and smile, etc.). She said I wasn't there but for him to say a prayer for me because my husband is in heaven. He looked down, then looked up again, and apparently said "Mom, I know why he's in heaven. God needed him." These, the words of a 10 year old boy, were able to give me such comfort, and the idea that a little kid can have such profound wisdom and understanding is beyond me. I never expected to hear anything like this, and it made all the difference to me.

God needs who He takes. That's how I'm thinking about it from now on.

• Members

I am very sorry to hear about your loss. I recalled the pain of losing a family member in death.  It was very sudden, she was pregnant and lost the baby and two days later she died.  It was such a shock to our entire family.  Even though the pain was intense, I was able to find comfort in God and the scriptures.

God does promise a resurrection or a coming back life for the dead.

“There is going to be a resurrection.”—Acts 24:15

“Do not be amazed at this, for the hour is coming in which all those in the memorial tombs will hear his voice and come out.” (John 5:26, 28, 29)

There are at least three reasons why we can believe that promise.

1-God is the Creator of life – Psalm 36:9

• So if he created life then he must be able to bring people back to life again.

2-God has resurrected humans in the past. - John 11:39-44.

• There are eight different instances recorded in the Bible where God brought people back to life.  

3-God is eager to resurrect people again - Job 14:14, 15.

• He longs to bring back those who are in his memory.

God's word the Bible can also help you to understand why death happens and when your loved ones will be resurrected, so even though your pain and loss may cause you to question God, he understands, cares for you, will help you cope, and gives you the answers.

I hope these few words will help you.

Archived