Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My dog has kidney failure

Jasminevan

• Members

My 12 year old cross breed cocker was diagnosed with kidney failure today after days or vomit and diarrhoea. I went to the vet today who said he could give him meds and keep him at the veterinary hospital to prolong his life. There is no cure unfortunately and even with those he would only live a few more weeks or months mostly spent at the vets with drips and injections. He's deteriorated rapidly, refuses all food and is very lethargic so I decided not to prolong his suffering and put him to sleep maybe already tomorrow once my husband gets back from a business trip. I want him to say goodbye. The vet gave him some shots today to make him better but it didn't work at all so I don't want him to get worse. He's always been happy and healthy and I can't cope to see him like this. I'm dreading tomorrow and I'm devastated am I doing the right thing? I love him too much too see him suffer. Will he suffer when they put him to sleep? I've been crying non stop and I don't know how to tell my 10 year old son. Please help 

• Members

I am so sorry you are going through this. Having to make this decision for our furry friends is devastating but also a courageous act of love. 12 years is an average age for a cocker spaniel. Unfortunately, cockers are prone to kidney disease. I currently have a cocker, JT, who is going on 11. I had a comprehensive blood panel done up last spring to make sure of his kidneys. I learned the hard way about kidney failure. We had a cocker spaniel with a smidge of beagle in him. Before he turned 9, we had to make that heart wrenching decision to help him to the rainbow bridge. Our dog had been losing weight, not eating, drinking a lot of water and unable to hold his bladder. Took him to the vet, had tests run. The vet kept him for a few days on IV to flush out his kidneys. A special diet was prescribed. We brought him home. That night I stayed up with the dog. I could see in his eyes that we were losing him. The next morning we took him back to the vet for the final time. My husband and I wanted to hang onto him, not let our friend go, but he was suffering. We held onto him while the vet gave the injection. It was a peaceful way to send him on to his spiritual journey.

You are going to be doing the right thing for your furry friend. It is going to be difficult but you will be acting out of love. The final gift you can give him for all the years of joy and unconditional love he gave to you.

It is going to be tough telling your son. Just try to be as honest and kind with the facts as you can. Let him spend time with his furry friend, showering him with love.

My prayers to you at this time.

• Members

We had our precious boy Max put to sleep on Tuesday it was the hardest thing we have ever had to do but knowing he is no longer in pain is a comfort. We also have a 10 year old we told her everything that was going to happen and gave her the choice of coming to the vets which she decided she wanted to do it was extremely hard for her she waited until he was asleep then said her goodbyes, the vets were really good and gave her her own special book for children about losing a pet she won't let this book out of her sight and it has helped explain things to her. My daughter is coping with our loss by talking about Max and writing things down about him she has also chosen one of his special toys and is carrying it around with her I would be open about it all with your son it has definitely helped my daughter. X x

• Members

Unfortunately the time is getting nearer. We will take him to the vet in a couple of hours. We told our son and he's inconsolable. He wants to come to the vet with us and we will respect his choice we are just spending the last moments with him he has deteriorated since yesterday and I don't want to see him suffer more. Thank you everyone for your support. We also have another dog and I don't know how she will take it. -"any advise on how to help her as well? Thank you 

• Members

Nico just passed away peacefully an hour ago. How do you people cope with such loss? It seems unbearable...

• Moderators

Jasminevan,

I am so sorry.  It is very painful...I've lost pets, my husband, parents, etc., it's not easy.  Take one day at a time, or one hour if that is all you can handle.  It helps to do something to honor or memorialize them.  I have memorial stones where they're buried.  It was real hard when my cat disappeared June 3rd because I knew she didn't die natural causes, she was doing great, and I knew she wouldn't run away, she loved it here, so I knew the likelihood was she was eaten by a cougar or large bird.  With no body to bury and no definitive answers, it's tough to process.

You gave Nico a good life and he died peacefully, he knew he was loved.  The shot to put him to sleep wouldn't cause him pain, more like drifting off to sleep.  

Archived