Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Dad killed himself an family blames me

Sam f

• Members

My father took his own life with a .22 magnum on the back lawn of the family home just over a month ago on the 21st of December. I was very close with him an knew something wasn't right by his txt msgs that day, I even tried calling 10 or so times an got hold of my brother. Anyway I got a call at around 1130pm to say dad had shot himself. Up until 3 or so years ago I was off the rails an quite hard work but we had since sorted things out. My mother an father we're both alcoholics. Not one family member other than my mother has talked to me since. Today my mum has sent me several msgs saying it's all my fault and it hurts so bad. I feel so guilty and down and alone. I miss my dad so much and I can't take it all much longer. Just venting an possibly looking for some advice. 

• Members

Dear Sam,

My deepest condolences and sympathies on the passing of your cherished father. You are a loving son. It wasn't your fault. Your mum's messages are coming from a place of deep pain and sorrow. And she feels the need to blame someone. I know the words hurt a lot. Try to forgive her. I don't think she is in her right mind after such a terrible loss. And doesn't even understand what she is writing.

Try to surround yourself with loving friends. Seek out grief counselling or a grief support group. Access any community resources to help you work through the raw emotions of this huge loss. Its never easy to lose a parent. There are so many questions. And no answer will ever be right. You did all you could for your dad. And most importantly you loved him. Its all any parent could have asked for.

Please know we are all here for you. Sending you lots of love and hugs.

• Members
bob-clearlynotmyname

Hey Sam,

Very sorry for your loss. People find it easier to pass blame to someone else and after substances its easier to send messages than consider the content.

Life is hard and its even harder to see what others are going through. 

Remember the best times cause that'll shape the best person you will be. Celebrate their life. 

• Members

Dear Sam, 

I am very sorry to hear about your dad.my youngest brother took his life nearly 6 years ago.of course everyone was in shock,anger and grief and we all either blamed ourselves or each other.it was a horrible time.

No one is to blame for your dad's death. Just like no one was to blame for my younger brothers death. Everyone is hurting. I pray that you will be OK. Take care of yourself xx

Archived