Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Losing both parents before 30

April31

• Members

My dad died when I was 18, my mom died right before I turned 30. I'll be 32 this year and I just feel so lonely. There's no one to call to talk about things or when times get tough or for advice. How do you go on? The loneliness is so strong!

• Members

Dear April,

My deepest condolences and sympathies on the passing of your dad and mom. I'm so sorry. I know its very hard and you miss both your parents very much. I hope you will surround yourself with loving friends and family. Try to take it moment by moment. Day by day. After suffering such an enormous loss, it feels almost impossible to carry on. I asked myself the same question. There are days I don't want to, but then I think about how I should value life because our parents live on through us. And we must live our best lives because this what they would want for us. I read somewhere where this woman said after her dad's passing, she wanted to live bigger, bolder, better life in his honor. I hope we can do the same. Try to find something you are passionate about, or something you think will honor your parent's memory. It doesn't mean we won't cry or long to have our parents back, but at least we are trying to carry on the best we can. Thinking of you.

• Members
12 hours ago, April31 said:

My dad died when I was 18, my mom died right before I turned 30. I'll be 32 this year and I just feel so lonely. There's no one to call to talk about things or when times get tough or for advice. How do you go on? The loneliness is so strong!

April, I'm sorry for your losses.  I lost my dad when I was 11 and my mom when I was 15.  It's is often lonely and hard but I just simply go on.  I hear you , believe me.  If you ever need a friendly ear I'm here.

• Members

Hi I just wanted to chime in and let you know that you aren't alone. My dad died when I was 7 and my mom just died a month ago after an awful battle with leukemia. I'm 39.  I feel completely lost, like an orphan.  We were best friends and I think a part of me died with her.  I'm struggling with feeling ma of anger and jealousy towards friends that have their parents and seem to have "perfect" lives (even though I know that's BS).  I'm not a jealous person so this feeling sucks.  I feel like I'm old now.  We wanted to have more kids, but u can't imagine doing it without my mom.  I don't know.  Life sucks.  I think I should probably join a grieveing group or go to counseling, but I'm just not ready.  

• Members

Dear SadinBoston,

My deepest sympathies and condolences on the passing of your cherished mother. I'm so sorry for the pain and sorrow you are going through. Life is so hard. I wish none of us had to go through grief. I wish all our parents could live to 100 and be happy and healthy. I hope you can continue to surround yourself with loving friends and family. And when you are ready consider seeking out a grief counselor or support group. I know everyone is different but it never hurts to try. Thinking of you.

Archived