Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Need your help with dissertation research

BMay

• Members

Hello, 

My name is Brittnee May and I am from San Diego, CA. I am a current doctoral student in Clinical Psychology and I am in my final steps of completing my doctoral degree. For my dissertation I am looking at the effects of losing a parent during the adolescent stage and its subsequent effects on parenthood later in life. As someone who has had similar experiences I know the impact losing a parent can have on your life. Losing a parent is one of the most difficult things a person ever goes through. As a future clinician I want to know what that experience is like for each individual person and how it continues to impact them long-term. Similarly, becoming a parent is another major life transition that individuals often look to their parents for guidance or support. However, for individuals whose have parents who have passed away, their experience of parenthood can be different from individuals who have both living parents. Unfortunately, this experience has not been researched. Therefore, little is known about what this experience is like and the long-term impact it has. 

With my dissertation I am looking to address this gap and add to the growing body of research on early parental loss. It is my hope that this dissertation will educate professionals across various settings (therapeutic, clinical, research, etc.) and thereby increase the awareness the impact early parental loss can have. 

I am looking for participants who experienced the death of a parent between the ages of 12-18 years old. You must be currently over the age of 18 and must be a current parent to at least 1 child. I am wanting to gain an in-depth understanding of your individualized experience, therefore, my study requires a person-to-person interview. All interviews will be conducted through Skype and should last no more than 1 hour. 

For your time and participation you will be given a $20 Target gift card as a thank you.  

If you have any additional questions or would like to participate in the study you can call or text at any time at (858) 707-5486 or email at bmay@alliant.edu. I have also attached a flyer for your reference. 

Thank you so much for your consideration,

Brittnee

Screen Shot 2017-02-01 at 2.43.40 PM.png

Archived