Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My 16 year old dog died a few days ago

Amy89

• Members

I have recently lost my pet dog who I have had for over 16 years since I was 10 years old. He was fit and healthy up until a month ago where he suddenly started having strange turns where he couldn't walk or eat for a few days then would get back to normal. He was ill again a few days ago and I just thought he might bounce back to normal after a few days. But when I woke in the morning I had the terrible news that he had passed away through the night. I am still in shock as i thought he would have been ok. I just can get my head around that he has gone. I just keep thinking should I have tried more with him like feed him better food and give him more vitamins. I just miss him so much he followed me everywhere and slept with me every night. 

• Members

Amy89. So sorry you lost your furfriend. I know how you feel. I have lost many pets over the years and it is devastating. They are family and it hurts. 16 years is a very long time for a dog. You are blessed to have had him in your life for that long. He was healthy, you must have been taking excellent care of him. I don't know the reason for his crossing over, it was most likely just his time. I'm assuming he went during his sleep which was peaceful. Of course you miss him. He was your friend and gave you unconditional love and many memories. He'll remember you with much love and you'll do the same. I'm so sorry, Amy.

• Moderators

Amy,

I am so sorry for the loss of your dog.  We get so attached to them, they are like our child or something, we are so close.  I got a dog when I was five and fifteen years later my parents put him to sleep, I never even got to say goodbye.  I've never had a dog make it to 16, and I think you must have given him very good care for him to last that long.

It is so hard living with that hole inside of us when they go.  My heart goes out to you.

I hope this brings you comfort, "The Rainbow Bridge":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcQvYh_3Atw

Archived