Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My dog's impending death

NickR

• Members

I have never really had to deal with any sort of loss in my life, but as it stands we have recently discovered that my 3 year old dog, has a rapidly fast growing cancer in her (don't really know which type), and they basically said "give her the best rest of her life that you can". I'm gutted I have not cried in over 10 years but after I talked with my mom about what the vet said I went into my room with said dog, and just cried for 10 minutes straight. Everytime I look at her I think about the fact that soon I will never be able to see her again and I start to get emotional. She is attached to me at the hip, every where I go, she go's, but I feel so bad cause I'm kinda avoiding being around her, it's just every time I look at her I get so sad because I know she wont be around for much longer. How do I deal with this? I never thought I would lose her this early, we were supposed to be best friends for at least another 10 years. And she is in pain cause her tumor is infected and it really bad, my family wants to keep her til she go's, but I would hate for her to pass in agony. What do I do? I'm so gutted about this.

• Members

I am so very sorry you are having to deal with this. Your dog has been your best friend, giving you unconditional love. Now, the time has come, and way sooner than expected, for you to show her your unconditional love. She needs you. Do not avoid her for she does not understand. What you can do, and you will have to be brave and courageous, is to give her last days the best you have in you. Spend time with her, make her comfortable, give her all the treats she can handle. Talk to her and tell her how much you love her. Dogs are very perceptive and they take their cues from you. Stay loving and positive. You want her to remember the loving life she had here with you. When the time comes, when her suffering is obvious, she will let you know it is time. I don't think you would like to see her suffer at home and pass away in that way. Take her to a vet to help her pass over to the rainbow bridge humanely.  Give her the dignity and love to pass over painlessly. I know this is hard and painful for you. This is going to be your first loss and you need to do your best in your heart for your best friend. My prayers and loving thoughts to you.

• Moderators

I am so sorry you are going through this.  You are going through anticipatory grief, but please don't let it come between you and her.  She needs you now, more than ever.  She needs to know you love and care for her, please spend time with her.  We can't avoid death, it comes whether bidden or not, so you aren't escaping it by avoiding her, you're only causing her to wonder why you aren't being with her.  Give her the best time you can while she's alive so you know you have done all you could.  My thoughts are when she is suffering more than she has quality of life, then it is time to let her go for HER best interest, not hang on for our own selves.  Loving is selfless.  Get a vet's honest opinion, tell them how she's doing, ask for their feedback, along the way.  When the time has come and gone, you will be left with memories of your time together...I'm sorry it isn't longer.

• Members

I'm very sorry to hear about your sweet dog. I've recently lost my best friend, our 8 year old dog Gracie. Take it from me, cherish the moments that you have, as sad as it may be. Let your dog know she is loved. It is very hard to deal with, share your feelings with people who understand and care. Always keep your dog in your heart and remember all the joy and Love she gave. We had to make the painful decision to end our Gracie's suffering, it was the right thing to do. We had to think of her and do what was best. My thoughts & prayers go out to you & your family. May your heart heal soon. 

Archived