Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Had to say goodbye to Gracie

James Kessel

• Members

Thursday January 19th I had to say goodbye to my best friend Gracie. She was much more than a pet dog. She was a friend, a family member and a constant bright spot in our lives. She was a Schnauzer Spaniel mix and lived to be 8yrs old. Her health was fading and we spent many trips to the vet to get her well. She was scheduled to have surgery on the 19th to have lumps removed near her lymph nodes. They postponed the surgery because of swelling in her throat and decided it was too risky. We were going to bring her back home that evening and wait for a better time. My Wife went to pick her up I stayed home. After an hour I received the 2nd worst phone call I've ever had, the first being the loss of my Mother. My wife called to say that we had to put Gracie to sleep because surgery would be too risky & she was suffering. She said I didn't have to be there if I didn't want to. I raced as fast as I could to be with my baby & see her one last time as hard as it was, I would've always regretted it if I didn't go. She was lying peaceful in a room sedated with pain meds. The Vet was very patient, giving us time with Gracie even though it was after hours. I hope that Gracie knew we were there for her & how much we Love her. We were stroking her and telling her we Loved her as the Vet put her to rest. She faded off to sleep and she was gone.The Vet was kind enough to give us a clay mold of her paw print at no charge, we also kept a clipping of her fur.  I knew it was going to be painful, I've experienced loss many times, parents, relatives and pets. Losing Gracie is hurting in a way I didn't expect, I see her everywhere and as crazy as it sounds it's like I can feel her still here. I've never had that kind of Love for a pet, she was special. I fell for her the first time I held her. Everyone that met her liked her, I couldn't find a fault in her if I tried. She had so much Love. I will miss her so much. Thank you for giving me a place to express how I'm feeling. It's comforting to know I'm not alone and I feel for all of you that have experienced the same. 

James K

IMG_0026.JPG

• Moderators

James,

It's easy to see how you love Gracie so much.  Look at those eyes!  I truly think dogs are God's greatest gift to us aside from his son.  Honestly, I love dogs, but some are extra special, and that is how I feel about my dog that I have now.  They are so loving, so trusting.  I'm glad you were able to be with her in her last moments, I would never want my dog to be put to sleep without me there, loving them.  

It's the days afterward that are so hard, seeing their water bowl and food bowl.  The change in routine, the little things we did with them and now we just have a lump in our throat.  I know there's no cure for this loss, that we go on missing them.  In time we get more used to the changes that this brings, so it doesn't catch us by surprise every day, but the missing them goes on.  Hold her in your heart and know that she knew she was loved, you gave her the best life that you could.  And someday, I truly believe with all my heart, we'll be reunited.

The rainbow bridge:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcQvYh_3Atw

• Members

James, My heart goes out to you. Gracie is a cute little girl, I bet everyone fell in love with her. It is so painful when we lose a furfriend. They are our best friends, constant companions and have unique personalities. They are God's gift from Heaven and only in our lives for a short time. They do give us so much though in the time we have with them.Unconditional love that will always be there even when they have to go back to Heaven.She'll be waiting for you in eternal life. Her love will always be in your heart.

• Members
On 1/23/2017 at 8:54 AM, KayC said:

James,

It's easy to see how you love Gracie so much.  Look at those eyes!  I truly think dogs are God's greatest gift to us aside from his son.  Honestly, I love dogs, but some are extra special, and that is how I feel about my dog that I have now.  They are so loving, so trusting.  I'm glad you were able to be with her in her last moments, I would never want my dog to be put to sleep without me there, loving them.  

It's the days afterward that are so hard, seeing their water bowl and food bowl.  The change in routine, the little things we did with them and now we just have a lump in our throat.  I know there's no cure for this loss, that we go on missing them.  In time we get more used to the changes that this brings, so it doesn't catch us by surprise every day, but the missing them goes on.  Hold her in your heart and know that she knew she was loved, you gave her the best life that you could.  And someday, I truly believe with all my heart, we'll be reunited.

The rainbow bridge:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcQvYh_3Atw

• Members

Thank you so much for the kind words. I also believe that our Loved ones will find us once more, that belief helps to ease the pain a little. 

• Moderators

Grace and peace to you.  I know how hard it is to continue, for the time, without them.

Archived