Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

3 years after my dad died

music101

• Members
My dad died 3 years ago when I was 16. He and I were really, really close so it was really, really hard for me. Things became really unstable at home, as my mom turned to alcohol and my older sister to drugs to try to handle it. I was always worried about what I would walk into every time I went home and a lot of responsibilities fell to me since my dad wasn't there and my mom wasn't really capable of it anymore. I was surrounded by lies, a huge lack of trust, and 2 people who were unable to think clearly. I thought I grieved the loss and was doing pretty well about 2 years later. I was pretty happy and getting on with my life. About 10 months ago, I started not really feeling like myself and it has persisted. I think and dream about my dad a lot and really, really miss him. I moved out and I'm going to college but there's none of the relief I thought there would be when I left home. I'm really angry and scared for some reason but I don't know why. It's been 3 years since my dad died, but I miss him so much and think about him so much but I feel like I shouldn't be this upset anymore. I thought I grieved already but is this some sort of delayed grief? Or is it depression or something else? I feel like I have no reason to be upset or angry, I just am. I feel like I was using all of the negative things happening at home to cover up my own problems, maybe. I'm not really sure but it just feels like I'm dead inside. Other days I just ache so badly. 

• Members

I'm sorry for your loss.  There are a lot of issues that you've had to deal with at such a young age.  It might be unresolved grief or a not, or a combination of things.  Only a trained professional could make a diagnosis.  You came from an unstable household and going into a new situation isn't necessarily going to erase all the pain from what you've had to deal with.

There isn't really a time limit on what grief stops hurting.  I think you have a lot of pain inside, not just from losing your dad, but from your whole family situation. I think you should try to reach out to a support group.

Archived