Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Loss of my cat, Maddie

Keith

• Members

On January 6, 2017, my almost 21-year old Himalayan Persian cat, Maddie, died in my arms. The sense of loss is profound and much more overwhelming than I expected.  In order to help me cope with the immense grief, I post this memorial as a tribute to Maddie.

Maddie was born in the spring of 1996.  My late mother bought Maddie in summer of 1996 (whom we affectionately began calling “Fattie Maddie” because of her thick fur coat which made her appear much larger than she actually was) after our 2-year old Persian, Samantha, died and we wanted a companion for our remaining Persian, Sierra.  Sierra and Maddie were playful kittens, but their personalities were very different.  Sierra was a “show” Persian, and she carried an attitude and could be snobbish and liked being a loner.  Maddie was the clear opposite; she loved to be loved, but not in a needy or disquieting way. 

She knew that brushing my teeth was a bedtime cue.  Her “twirling” at my feet in bed as she prepared to lie down for the night was ritualistic for her and comforted me greatly.  Her pawing at my face in the morning literally became my alarm clock.  Kneading on my belly was a kitten-like practice from which she never absconded even in her waning days.  She loved to eat when we ate. She watched television and would “paw” at our computer screens if she felt it would bring her closer to us.  Fattie became a member of our family and helped us cope through the loss of our mom and our extensive travels during our early adult years.  She never left our side and adapted well to her changing circumstances.  I could not have asked for a more loving pet. 

Maddie was loved very deeply for more than 20 years.  She brought calmness in my life and was a much needed constant in my life during significant turmoil.  I miss her greatly and will remember her fondly.

-keith         

FullSizeRender.jpg

• Members
Hannah's Mommy

Keith,

I am so sorry for your loss.  Fattie Maddie is absolutely gorgeous and she lived such a long and truly blessed life. Maddie was loved so deeply by you and your family, and she gave so much love back to you in return.  Maddie loved you unconditionally and that is such a beautiful kind of love.  As I read your beautiful tribute to Maddie, it brought tears to my eyes.  So much of what you describe reminds me so much of our Hannah baby, who has been gone almost 2 years now.  Hannah and Maddie will always be with us, safe in our hearts and our memories....and that is forever.  Please take comfort in knowing that.  Thank you for giving Maddie such a wonderful, loving life.  Prayers for you and your family during this difficult time.  RIP Maddie. 

• Members

Keith, such a beautiful photo of Maddie! You have been blessed with having Maddie with you for many wonderful years. Our furfriends are our family and it hurts so much when they go on to their next journey in Heaven. You wrote a beautiful tribute  for how Maddie enhanced your life. You will carry the love in your heart forever and memories will make you smile. I know how much you miss her and the pain in your heart. Grieving is love with no where to go with it. We love our pets because of their unconditional love, their unique personalities, companionship. They bring a whole lot to our lives that we don't receive from people or other sources. I love how you describe Maddie, her personality and quirks.

Maddie will always be with you, walking beside you spiritually. She is always going to love you and cherish the great life you gave her here. Prayers and hugs.

• Members

Hannah's Mommy---My condolences to you also on the loss of your Hannah. We never forget pets and what they brought to our lives. We grieve for them just like we would for a person. I believe that God sends us pets to enhance our lives, love us unconditionally and teach us life lessons.

• Moderators

Keith,

I'm so sorry you lost your Maddie, she is a very beautiful cat.  I have a cat that is nearly 21 years old, but lost my other cat in June.  It's very hard to get used to their being gone, we had routines, things they did, and all cats being so very unique, there's no replacing that one we lost.  My heart goes out to you as you try to adjust to this loss.  Your tribute was beautiful.

Archived