Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
linzilegs68

My son committed suicide 5 weeks ago

3 posts in this topic

how do I ever learn to move on? My 26 year old eldest son took his own life five weeks ago today and the pain is unbearable.  How do I manage to live without him??

I am so very sorry about your loss. We have a forum Loss of a Child," and a thread "Loss of An Adult Child," where there are many, many parents who have experienced what you are reeling from. They may be able to offer you support, encouragement, advice and tips for getting through this and eventually moving forward. 

If you scroll to the top of this page, click on "home" then scroll until you find the forum, you will be more than welcome. They will embrace you and be there with you. 

We will be here with you,

ModKonnie

I am so sorry for the loss of your son. While it was my Mom that committed suicide, I cannot imagine the loss of a child. So I can only share my experience of finding my Mom after she had shot herself.

I cried everyday until I could barely breathe for a solid year. And it has taken a good 4 years to create a new norm. Being a survivor of this tragedy you will feel tremendous guilt, you will have a million unanswered questions, and it will change your views on life and you will never be the same.

Know this, you are not responsible for his decision. Everyone has difficulties in life and one has a choice how to respond. Those that take their lives just want to end the pain inside. Whether they were born with depression, have an addiction, or whatever the reason, they have an inability to cope and it isn't your fault. They couldn't have imagined what it would do to those left behind which is a nightmare. 

He did not have the strength to carry on but you do. Your son would want you to move on and live life to the fullest. God created you for a purpose and you have not yet reached your destiny. Your son reached his and I know you are left with this broken heart. But look how strong you have been. Look how compassionate you are now. Look how many lives you can touch with your experience. 

Your son is now safe and at peace and gone on to the next phase of his life. You one day will complete yours here and go on to your next phase and you will be reunited again. Time here on earth seems endless at times, but really, it is the blink of an eye. 

Please go on and complete your journey, your purpose. He would want that. It's okay to take your time grieving, talk about it to anyone that will listen, join a support group, volunteer, carry on an interest he may have had, get a hobby, join a gym. Get out of the house. Don't forget you and your interests before children. You will never forget him so carry on to celebrate his life. You are already an inspiration to those around you for your strength and courage. 

My heart breaks for you. Pray alot and talk alot about it. It will help. May God wrap his arms around you and give you comfort, peace and strength. 

Sincerely, Sherry