Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lost my dad on my birthday.

• Guests

So Dec. 30th was my 53rd birthday. My 94 yr old dad and I shared a two family home (the one I grew up in), I was now in the apartment upstairs while he remained in the main part of the house that I lived in for the first 38 years of my life.  We had plans to go out to dinner for my birthday and the last time I saw him was around 10:30 PM EST time Thursday night.  I had been battling a cold and wanted to sleep in a bit that day to ensure that I'd feel good enough to go out that night, so I didn't get up until about 10:45 Friday morning.  I had some breakfast and a cup of coffee and then around 11:15 I went down to say hi to him. Got to his bedroom and saw he was not in his bed, then noticed the light was on in his walk-in closet, so figured he was in there. Then as I stepped across the threshold of his room and looked towards the closet, I discovered his half dressed body on the floor.  I pretty much knew he was already gone based on the fact that his face had a bluish tinge to it, but I ran over and checked his carotid pulse to be sure and he was already cool to the touch.  Being that we shared the home, for years now I've feared finding him dead and to have it happen on my birthday just made it 10X worse!  Now I'm alone in this huge house and my brother and sister-in-law have already brought up the subject of selling the house (1st was my sister-in-law who brought it up while we were sitting in the chapel at the cemetery staring at his coffin the day of the funeral) and the 2nd time was yesterday when my brother mentioned it on the phone.  Really pisses me off that they can be bringing this up so soon after he's gone.

• Members

Hi Belle526,

I'm so, so terribly sorry for your sudden and painful loss on your birthday. I have nothing to say of course that will make it easier, but I just wanted to say that I feel for you and can see how you'd be pissed off about the house being brought up immediately. That was incredibly insensitive, at a time when you need understanding more than anything.

I wish peace for you and though the circumstances are different, I do know what it's like to lose your dad.

• Guests

Thanks so much Ribbonfest and my condolences to you on the loss of your dad. So true that it was incredibly insensitive of them, but then they really have been there for either of us for quite sometime. If things don't change in the months ahead, then by the time the house is sold and I move away, I will never speak to them again (or at least not often).

Archived