Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Dealing with doubt

Donnie's mom

• Members

I loss my son in September to a hit and run. They have followed the only lead they had but was unable to prove the truck they thought it was was the correct truck. There is a part of me that wants/needs to insist they do more. I don't know if it would do any good. The other part of me says I just need to deal with the grief and try to go on. Waiting on the DNA off of the truck was a vicious cycle. I would stress for two or three days before calling the trooper. Then after calling and fiinding out it wasn't in I would spend days crying and not wanting to go to work. Does anyone have thoughts on how to proceed or if emotionally I should leave it to the officer and try to focus on surviving this.

• Members
Mermaid Tears

Donnie's Mom...Bob....on the site 'Loss of Adult Child'....are many parents that had the same 'situation'..in which they had to negotiate the 'system' for justice for their child..for some it was a long struggle taking many years. Uphill and carrying the heavy weight of grief is beyond sad for the family. For one Mom...it brought many health issues after it was all over...she is now healing very slow. Please know that this kind of grief can impact you emotionally and physically....as you walk your grief journey...do self care....be good and kind to yourself...and remember...a parent never had super human control....just super human love. I cannot advise you on your situation...maybe go and ask a lawyer or clergy and let them help guide you.

• Members

Donniesmom just do what you feel is right for you. It is quite normal to want answers and information but sadly sometimes there are no answers or justice served. My son was killed trying to save his suicidal friend over in Hawaii. I spoke to the police and got copies of the police report. I also spoke to the ER doctor who treated my Tommy and the morgue. Also the friend who witnessed the fall. the university where it happened never contacted me so I have emailed them myself three times and I vow to email them every year on his death date to remind them who he was, the heroic act he made and to continue to insist they install window locks on the dorm rooms. After  about 4 months later I managed to trace and email the teenager Tommy died to save and heard his side of the events. I was able to forgive him and assure him it was a sequence of bad judgements and a tragic accident. i emailed him again on the anniversary and let him know I am interested in how he is coping, encourage him to attend therapy and let him know his life is important and that Tommy gave up his life for him so to make his life worthwhile and give back to others so there is some good that comes out of this tragedy. Do what is best for you, try to find the answer you can absolutely get a lawyer if its necessary you need someone to advocate for you in your grief and keep on going one step at a time. there are good people on this site who will try and help support you and listen to you without judging. take care

• Members
BarbaraPhillips

Whats the current status? Have you consulted an attorney? What advice did he gave you? My aunt also lost her son in hit and run case. She was also recommended to hire a good lawyer which can provide justice to her son. She referred and viewed services of different lawyers to shortlist few. Personal Injury Lawyers help get compensation for these kinds of accidents.

Archived