Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Loss of a family friend

Maggie26

• Members

In August, my mom's friend's youngest son died of The Choking Game at age 13. and i didnt know about this until a month later. I don't know this boy that much because they live in A different state. But It's really important to his family, and now It seems important to me. Im really sad that i never got to meet him. Im too afraid to talk to my Mom about this. How can I cope with this? It seems like Im the only one in my family that is feeling this way. Maybe because Im a year younger than him. I tried getting some advice about this, but that didnt help. Please someone help me! 

• Members

Dear Maggie,

I'm so sorry. Its only natural to be afraid after receiving such shocking news. Very sad and painful time for everyone. I know you mentioned you are afraid to talk to your mom. But are there any other friends or family members you could reach out to? I would also suggest trying to access any community resources through school, work or the local church. Or call a local distress line to talk to someone about this terrible loss. Its always hard to lose someone close in age and normal to have all these questions and fears. We are all here to support you. Hugs.

Archived