Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

my best friend gone

lynneandalex

• Members

hi all

my lassie had been getting slower over time which i put down to her age  german Shepherd coming onto 13 years old but she stop eating on 22nd dec and was getting harder to go out but she had been like this before and she was on a drug to help arthritis on her hips so said to the wife on Christmas eve about 11.30 let see if the vets open just to check her out due to everthing being close due to Christmas well appointment at 1.15pm and by 2.15pm i had lost my best friend by choice as i always said i loved her to much to let her suffer but like a few other people im full of sorrow greif pain i could have ask if the vet could come and let her go to sleep in her own home  I didn't   afterwards i wanted to take her home but we lived in France for years and still have a home there and the wife said lets get her cremated and take her there as she loved it there ok i said thinking it would be done at the local pet crematorium and i would get to see her one last time nope by the time i phoned the vet this morning she had gone to one  down on the scottish border so i didn't get to say goodbye  and feel as if i just put my girl to sleep and left her all alone on the vet floor even though i held her head as she went i know by the look in her eyes she knew it was the right time but its killing me i am a 53 year old man but i cried most of Christmas eve the only thing that saved me was going to family on christmas  but yesterday and today have been terrible i wont get my girl back till next week and i am not a religious type so i cant even think off never seeing her again as its just to much to bear  i thought i had years with her for nearly 13 years she was by my side every day it drove the wife crazy because even if she took her out lassie was never happy till dad took her out but shes gone and im lost but i didnt think i would lose here so quick  sorry for going on but it helps just putting it down on here

thanks

alex             

IMG_1274.JPG

• Members

Awww. She's beautiful. I am so very sorry about your loss. Feel free to cry, rant, rage. It's okay. And writing helps lots. Feel free to do it! :) 

We will be here with you,

ModKonnie

• Members

Hi Alex,

So very sorry for your loss.  She is indeed beautiful. Everything you said is understood. I understand the deep sense of loss and these questions, doubts, fears and concerns. I think your wife was right, taking her ashes to a place where she and you so well loved. Please know, you did right by her. You did not abandon her at the vets office. I know the feeling of last looks, last breath, last earthly movement and because of our closeness, our bond, it is these that had sometimes haunted me. But I also know from the last time my guy Jack drew his last breath, and the moment his heart stopped beating for the last time, he was no longer there with me, or in his body that now laid breathless and lifeless before me. Now he lives on within me, in everything, in all, and lives of other's to whom he brought joy.

Your beautiful girl is already blessed, in a life well lived.

Michael

• Members

thanks guys

im so lost just now the worse times are 1st thing in the morning and when laying in bed at night in fact its all bad just now  she was a rescue dog they said about 10 month to a year old we never had a single problem with her  in fact we went to an open market about a week later when a kid of about 4 ran over and gave her a big hug and she just took it in her stride and was like that all of her life  one of our new friends at the time in france had a major fear of big dogs she would not leve him alone within 2/3 weeks he was coming round to take her for walks

its ok im just ranting as its all the happy memory's that's going around my head  as with all my fears what was a happy place are full of tears and sadness just now i am full of fear about going back to the house in france for all the memory's it has  its like a dark veil has fallen on life  roll on 2017

thanks for listening guys as writing about her helps as a guy in his 50 it was an age thing that we dont show emotion so i find it hard to talk about my feelings so this really helps 

thanks

alex   

• Members

Alex---So sorry for the loss of your best friend---she's a beautiful girl. It is so hard when we lose a faithful, loving, companion. She had a beautiful life with you and your wife. She touched many people and made many friends.She couldn't have asked for a better life than the one she had with you. I can tell you loved her deeply and she gave her love and devotion right back to you. In Heaven, she is young again and healthy, running around. She will always love you and will still be by your side in spirit.

We are here for you, so it is OK---we are listening. i have lost many pets over the years. All loved and they were all unique in their own special ways. It never gets easy when it's a pets turn to leave but I have such a love for them. I have 2 now that are getting on in years and they are my source of great comfort now that my husband has gone to Heaven.

Be kind to yourself now Alex and your wife also----Prayers and hugs going your way.

• Moderators

Alex,

I'm sorry you lost your girl, she is beautiful.  She knew you were with her to the end, and I don't believe it's all over with their last breath, but we'll be with them again.  It's not about religion, it's faith and science all rolled into one.  You did all you could for her, I wish so much we had more years with them, we're never ready to let them go, dogs are the sweetest souls, we learn so much from them, like how to love and just be there for someone.  
Maybe the Rainbow Bridge is too sappy for you but it brings comfort to me as I've lost many dogs and cats over the years and loved them all...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcQvYh_3Atw

Archived