Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lost my Mum a few days ago, can't sleep.

Roisin

• Members

My mother was taken away from me suddenly after a fall on Sunday morning. I stayed by her side waiting for the paramedics to arrive and unfortunately I felt her go cold 2 minutes before they arrived and did their best to save her. 

We has her funeral service on Wednesday with the church folk group she was a member of providing the hymns that my mum loved most.  Mostly upbeat and service really reflected her upbeat personality. We got so many compliments on it and I feel we did her proud. 

While I am coping during the day I can't sleep. It's the 3rd night in a row I've woken up screaming and panicking thinking something is trying to take me away with my pulse racing... I don't know what to do. 

• Members

Dear Roisin,

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your mother. It sounds like you had a beautiful service for your mom. And I'm sure you did her proud. I can imagine is not easy to sleep during this difficult time after her service. Have you considered talking with a doctor? I try to read a little to calm my mind before bed. Or maybe having some warm milk. Try to have a small routine before bed if possible and making sure there are no electronics in the room. Take care of yourself the best you can. Thinking of you.

• Members

Roisin, I am so sorry about your mother.  I know how you feel.  My mother passed in October of this  year.  I had several weeks when I could not sleep.  I had to get up and work the next day and do not know how I did it. But I did it.  I started doing some Qi Gong exercises in an attempt to slow my mind down.  My heart was racing like never before. I took very long and very deep breaths.  It is not easy. Feel free to write any time. I will check back.

• Members

Thank you both. I ended up going to the doctor and am doing better sleeping now. 

• Members

Glad you are sleeping better now. Losing a parent is one of the toughest moments of anyone's life. And its only understandable to have a problem with sleeping. Take care my friend.

Archived