Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My dog died and i need someone to help me deal with it

Lisa iford

• Members

Hi Lisa,

So sorry to hear about the loss of your boxer, Brutus. It has helped me a great deal to write about my guy Jack, and to post a few pictures. I would love to see a picture of Brutus and hear more about him, if you are so inclined. First dog, that I and siblings received, was a boxer pup, born in a neighborhood bar. I still remember that day. Boots was his name, (4 white paws.) He was awesome. Very protective of us and the neighborhood children.

Know that you are not alone, I sincerely doubt that you failed Brutus in any way, although I also know you may feel that you did. In my mind I know that I made the right decision for my buddy Jack, but emotions being what they are, second guessing comes with the territory. All a normal aspect of grieving the the loss of our faithful companions.

God Bless, Be Well,

Michael

• Members

Thank you for your words.I am also sorry for your loss.I knew when any of my dogs would have to leave that it would be terrible.I have another boxer and a dashund mix left at home as well.Brutus was over 10.The other boxer is a 12 female.The little guy in the bunch is 4.Brutus was special to me in a certain way.They all have their own little things that made me love them.He had a huge appetite.He also liked to drink water from bathroom sink!And he had a way of looking at you that could melt your heart.He hated toys and rarely ever chased a ball.Also he really loved to eat ice cubes.I always loved to talk about my "puppies".I feel a little better.Thanks for listening.

• Moderators

I'm sorry, Lisa, I almost lost my dog this week too, he's not out of the woods yet.  My sister sent a present to put under the tree, she didn't warn me it had chocolate in a cardstock container and my dog ate 14 pieces of cellophane wrapped rich chocolate.  Took him to the vet, he still hasn't passed the wrappers and they could obstruct so we may have emergency surgery.  He's almost 9, which is the average age for his breed so I worry about anesthesia.  He already has Colitis and got into some butter warming in the sink, so he's off food for 24 hours and then it'll be rice and pumpkin for a while.

Did your dog die of old age or did something else happen?  Did you delete what you wrote?  All I see is a sad face, I'm not sure how Jack knew your dog was a boxer.

• Members

Thank you for your thoughts.My big puppy was 10.He had issues over the years.His last problem was what I believe was cancer.He had a limp that was being treated for what was thought to be arthritis.He had recently lost weight.He took a turn for the worst on Friday.I at first thought it was the pain meds that was making in more lethargic but I was wrong.He just went down hill so quickly and we didn't or our hearts would not let us see our bad it was.

• Members

He passed away Sunday at 8 pm.I just said a prayer for your doggy to.Over the years my dogs,another boxer and a dauchsund have eaten there fair share of contraband and have pulled through.So I believe your fur baby will be fine.If the worst happens ,post it here so I can help you with some kind words.

• Members

To all that may not know the ASPCA has a grief counselor you can talk to.She is a therapist in Arizona.She was really kind and understanding.If you goggle animal grief therapist it should come up.She will call you back.She let me talk and talk and cry.

• Members

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for writing again and telling us a bit more about your beloved Brutus. And also writing regarding the ASPCA grief counselor. I am glad you could talk with someone and express your deep sense of loss over your beloved companion.

KayC, I was reading a post Lisa made in response to another members post, is how I came by the information regarding her boxer. I am so sorry to hear that you are going through the trouble with your guy! Please let us know how THAT is going, hopefully he is ok and we are keeping you (and him) in our prayers.

Be Well Everyone,

Michael

• Members

Thank you for your words.I am also sorry for your loss.I knew when any of my dogs would have to leave that it would be terrible.I have another boxer and a dashund mix left at home as well.Brutus was over 10.The other boxer is a 12 female.The little guy in the bunch is 4.Brutus was special to me in a certain way.They all have their own little things that made me love them.He had a huge appetite.He also liked to drink water from bathroom sink!And he had a way of looking at you that could melt your heart.He hated toys and rarely ever chased a ball.Also he really loved to eat ice cubes.I always loved to talk about my "puppies".I feel a little better.Thanks for listening.

• Members

To kayc and missing Jack,my female boxer brown sugar died suddenly yesterday.Now both of my boxers are gone.They died eleven days apart.IN A WEIRD I feel at peace .Both are now side by side like they were in life.She was born in 2006.He was born in 2006.They both died in there kennels in my kitchen where they lived there whole lives.They are resting in there yard where they spent many afternoon s sitting in the sun.Right now I am sad.

• Members

Lisa--so sorry for your losses of your furfriends. It must be distressing ,devastating ,to lose two friends so close together. My heart goes out to you. You gave them a good life. You'll have plenty of memories to carry in your heart. Pets are our family and it hurts so much when they leave us. The loss of their companionship leaves us with an empty void and their uniqueness can never be replaced. Your two boxers are now together, just as they were here, running free and playing.

My dog is going on 11 and constantly at my side. I cherish every day with his companionship and he gets way too many treats, but it's what you do out of love.

Prayers and peace going your way, Lisa.

• Members

Thank you.I know your dog is lucky to have you.People that don't have dogs don't understand the loss.If everybody had a dog to love the world would be a better place.The one thing I am looking forward to is to be able to look at photos of them and to think back on all the camping trips we took them on and be able not to cry.

• Members

Lisa,

Bless your heart. Post pics when you can. Would love to see them both.

Michael (missing jack)

• Moderators

Lisa,

It somehow brings comfort knowing they are both together, doesn't it.  I know that doesn't help console you though for your missing them continues and to lose both at once is very hard.
Arlie seems to be doing better, I'm going to start weaning him back onto his regular diet today, we'll see how he does with it.  It seems he's struggled with his system his whole life.
Yes, I'd love to see pictures too!

Archived