Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

I lost both parents not even 2 weeks apart

MissFriend

• Members

My father died on 11/11 and my mother died on 11/22. Both from a heroin overdose. I can't believe they could do this to me and my siblings. I'm in shock and I feel like my world just fell apart. I've had to take so much funeral leave time off work, which I'm grateful was provided to me, but now I feel so behind and have no desire or interest to even pick back up. I'm up late replaying everything in my mind every night wishing I could have done something to help them. What can I do to move on from this horrible nightmare?

• Members

HUGS MissFriend ... I am so sorry for your losses.  Losing both parents in such a short time is something I cannot imagine.  I lost my parents 11 months apart and found it devastating.  I hadn't gotten through grieving my mom and 11 months later my dad left us.  

This is all so recent for you and overwhelming.  It is ok to have no interest or desire to pick back up with anything for awhile.  That is what happens when we are grieving.  Our feelings change and how we see things changes.  That isn't a bad thing...but rather a natural thing.  We've taken a big hit....in your case 2 big hits so allow yourself time to get through it all.  

You ask how you can move on from this horrible nightmare.  The first thing that comes to my mind is to go with the feelings and try to see that your parents didn't do this intentionally.  The addiction took them.  In sharing, the thing that got me through losing my parents was that I turned to God.  Family and friends helped but it was growing in my faith that got me through things.  I know that one day we will be reunited with those who we've lost so until then I will try to do the best and be the best person that I can be.

Take care

Cindy Jane

Archived