Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

1st thanksgiving without your child

JBMOM

• Members

I just wanted to start a topic on first holidays without our loved ones. This was my 1st thanksgiving without my mom/my son & my bestfriend VERY SURREAL. I missed my sons laugh & his love for sweet potato pies. I missed comparing menus with my momma. i missed my best friends home made rolls & cornbread dressing. It defenitely WAS NOT THE SAME. I eventually made it to the graveyard. How did yall handle this 1st Thanksgiving???

• Members
Mermaid Tears

Hello JB Mom....please go to the site called 'Loss of Adult Child'...you will find many active parents on that site....and you will also find a group of caring and grieving parents that will be willing...with lots of tears....to share their stories of how they coped with the 1st Thanksgiving without their child...and all the other first they had to manage on this grief journey. I have one daughter and 5 sons...John David was the oldest son....one of my other boys made the remark..'If Mom can make it we know we can'.....it was a white knuckle day....I hang on to faith with both hands....I am so sorry for your loss....

• Members

JBmom The firsts are really hard aren't they? I was in such deep depression and mental fog that I sleptwalked through Thanksgiving and Xmas and New Year when my Tommy died. This year was harder because I had more mental clarity, and less medication and also the benefit and support of my bereavement counsellor who has been instrumental in me getting the will to live back.

Archived