Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My brother died today

Forest b

• Members

I am glad that I found this forum. My brother was found dead in his apartment today. He was 41 and a kidney transplant recipient. I got the news at work and I have been crying on and off since then. Both my mom and my sister are also devastated. He was such a good person, he never let his health problems get in the way of living a full life. His final day was spent canoeing with one of his best friends, and she was the one who called 911 when he wouldn't answer his phone.  I know that it will be less intense with time, but it hurts so much right now.

• Members

So Sorry, Forest b---Hope you find some comfort and friends here. The loss of your brother is a shock and you will be going through a whole range of emotions. You, your mom and sister will be there for each other to get through the tough times ahead. Even though you are hurting, try to take some solace the your brother's final day was a good and fun one.  Prayers to you.

• Members

That's terrible, I am beyond sorry.  Reaching out to others who understand your extreme grief is important, those will be the ones you can feel a human connection with for a while.  One thing that has helped me to feel connected to my sister is to start a journal with my letters to her.  I write to her whenever I want to say something to her and can't.  

• Members

The first day was the worst, right now I'm just having the occasional periods of sadness. I know that when I go down to Florida for his memorial service, there will be a whole lot of crying. I have just been remembering how he was always seeking an adventure and he never let anyone or anything stop him. My kids are coming with me as well, I feel like they should have a chance to be included in remembering their uncle.

• Members
Yah, I've Got Issues

Forest b, I'm so very sorry for your loss.  I am totally feeling you right now.  My kids and I are traveling to VA this Friday for my brother's memorial.  We had one up here in Buffalo (where we are from), but now we're going to where he lived, worked, and played for a second one.  Heartbreaking all over again.  I'm taking my kids (13 and 10).  They are both suffering emotionally because of his death, as am I.  Comforting to know I am not alone with my feelings.  Wish I could give you a hug.  Stay strong, but have that good cry.

• Members

jeez forest, this sure does suck, feeling your pain as i lost my little brother 5 weeks ago, he was 39... changes everything huh, lost the guy from all those memories and also now wont see how his future would have turned out, i wanted to be real old with him, ****, take it easy bro

• Members

I lost my brother when he was 19 and it was hard to deal with then i cant imagine what it must feel like to enjoy many more years with your brother only to lose him later.

• Members

I lost my brother 4 days ago, the pain is terrible. Everyone says it will get better or he is in a better place or I will see him again or that in spirit he is still with me. But none of that stops this unbearable pain. Let's hope they are right for both our sakes.

Archived