Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Sudden loss of wife.

Abnranger

• Members

My wife of 18 years passed suddenly in her sleep leaving me and the kids behind. She was only 46 so it was a total shock. With the holidays coming up I must struggle with that loss and a financial hardship to still give our kids a good Christmas. I'm a disabled Vet on a fixed income. It will be hard to grieve with life having to continue. I don't know whether I'm coming or going, every emotion possible is experienced all at once. 

• Moderators

I am so sorry for your loss, it is the hardest thing in the world, but you will make it through this, one day at a time.  Are you getting any grief counseling?  There are usually grief counselors willing to charge according to income.  My husband passed suddenly right after his 51st birthday and it was a shock.  I encourage you to open yourself up to receiving help, I know it's harder to receive than to give, but for your kids' sake.  Even local media can help by putting the word out of the need, people tend to be very caring this time of year.

Are there any churches you could reach out to for help for your kids?  Also, there are angel trees where you put the age, gender, and size of your child and people take the tag and buy items, wrap them, and bring them back where they're distributed to those signed up.

I hope you will continue coming here, it helps to get it off your chest and know there are people here that understand grief.  My heart goes out to you and your kids.

• Members

So sorry for your loss. There are many of us here for you. Hope you find some comfort here. Sadly, life does not stop when we are suffering. My husband passed suddenly of a heart attack 3 months ago and I struggle through the days. I wish desperately to be with him but it is not an option.

Your body is in shock along with your emotions. I totally understand your pain and heartache. You will have the comfort of your children. Your wife will want you to take care of them as she would. Take care of yourself so you can care for your children.

Are there any Vet programs to help you with the holidays? There should be a place to go and share in holiday meals for you and your children like a church group or some other organization. Prayers and hugs to you and your family.

Archived