Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lost my brother to an overdose and found him

Ah1258

• Members

I'm 31 and my brother and I were very close always. We lived together all but 4 years of our lives. He struggled with a heroin addiction for years but had a ton of support and would usually stay clean for at least a year at a time and then quickly ( within 2 weeks) be using very dangerously and would have sold most of his valuables. Last July I started seeing signs and let my parents know. He said he was going to start rehab again on Friday... On Thursday, I came home on my lunch break and saw the door wide open. As my sight got past the bushes, I saw that he was face down half way out of our front door and his skin looked bluish and almost marbled. I called 911 and did CPR for about 7 minutes, which felt like an hour. After the paramedics arrived, I called my parents and they came right over. I didn't want to see anymore, so I stayed away from the front of the house. ( also, we all had to stay outside and weren't allowed in the house bc the police searched it for about 2 and a Half hours.) Anyway, the paramedics worked on him at the house for about 20 min. One thing I hate that I remember is my dad coming back from the front door looking at my stepmom and shaking his head as if to say "it doesn't look good" and seeing my stepmom immediately run to the bushes and start vomiting. My brother was taken to the hospital after about 25 min. And I had to stay at the house and got questioned by 3 different officers over the course of 2 hours. About 1 and a half hours into that, one of the officers came over and let me know that my brother had died. I'm very sensitive, and when I found out he was using again I told him that he can't bc I would find him and I couldn't handle it. I can post more about all of this, but I need to go to sleep bc I have work at 8am. I'm not really sure if I'm even doing this right bc I literally just joined the site bc I was feeling like it might be nice to talk to someone who has had a similar experience.

-Alex-

• Members

Alex, I am so very sorry about your brother, and I'm sorry you were the one who had to experience the horror of finding him. Addiction takes its ugly toll on every family member when someone we love is under the deadly grip. 

I wish there was an easy answer, an easy cure, but there is not. It's going to take an entire country--all of us joined together in unity--to deal with this massive epidemic that is destroying our lives. 

We will be here with you,

ModKonnie

• Members

Alex, I lost my brother the same way on Nov 8. I posted here and no one responded. So I'll just say my condolences to you. It must have been so hard finding him. I'm so sorry and you're in my prayers.

• Members

Hi. My story is similar in a way. I didn't find my sister. That must have been so awful. But Misti & I were best friends always. She lived with me all but a few years. We were 18 months apart. Last time I saw her I said I don't want you to die. I guess saying it and living it are completely different because this experience has been a nightmare. She was 27 and was found face down in a hamper with bluish skin on December 12th 2015. I guess that must be from blood idk. Anyway I hope you are ok. I know I miss my sister very much and I keep thinking back to when we're kids and long before heroin came and took her. I wish I had one more hug. Have you heard anything from an autopsy yet? We were told 3 months for report. We know it was heroin but we thought maybe a bad batch or something. - Barb

• Members

Hi. My story is similar in a way. I didn't find my sister. That must have been so awful. But Misti & I were best friends always. She lived with me all but a few years. We were 18 months apart. Last time I saw her I said I don't want you to die. I guess saying it and living it are completely different because this experience has been a nightmare. She was 27 and was found face down in a hamper with bluish skin on December 12th 2015. I guess that must be from blood idk. Anyway I hope you are ok. I know I miss my sister very much and I keep thinking back to when we're kids and long before heroin came and took her. I wish I had one more hug. Have you heard anything from an autopsy yet? We were told 3 months for report. We know it was heroin but we thought maybe a bad batch or something. - Barb

• Members

Alex, I lost my brother the same way on Nov 8. I posted here and no one responded. So I'll just say my condolences to you. It must have been so hard finding him. I'm so sorry and you're in my prayers.

• Members

• Members

So sorry for your loss

Archived