Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lost my 5 year old buddy of a sudden death event...help

exit30

• Members

Tuffy, our 5 year old sweet tabby passed away suddenly and without warning  on 8/24/15 of a heart attack, no underlying issues at all.  Our lives have been turned upside down and I am absolutely inconsolable.  My best friend and I adopted him and his brother Squirt as kittens in 2010, about 2 years ago I moved back to NJ for family issues, Cindy and the kitties remained in VA until this past June when they too moved back. I missed some of their life due to our separation, but was excited that we would all be reunited this summer.

Prior to Tuffy's death,  my Mom passed away on the morning of the 4th of July 2015 after a 2.5 year battle with physical and mental health issues. I really thought the dust was starting to settle on my life and the four of us could once again be a family.  Well it's only been 2 months since they moved here and now one of my best friends is gone, I can't get this grief under control, I am beside myself with misery.

We've had other cats, but they lived long lives until it was time for us to make the decision for euthanasia, but Tuffy's passing is a complete shock, and I feel cheated that I didn't get more time with him, this  has left a hole in my heart of astronomical proportions and I feel as though it will never heal. I've cried buckets of tears, and there will be much more to come. We still have Squirt, who is healthy and happy, we are loving him crazy, but we were a team and now we are minus one important member. 

• Members

I am a retired senior citizen and have been on my own for many years now.  Right now, I'm inconsolable and walking around my condo in a daze.  On August 23, I had to put down my beloved cat, JayJay, due to kidney failure.  She was a DLH, brown and white beauty.

I adopted her from the Delaware Humane Assoc. ten years ago.  What I didn't know at the time, but found out, was that she was either born xenophobic or had been abused and was afraid of all humans.  I spotted her out of the corner of my eye hidden in a hut.  I guess I went for "beauty" instead of "personality" at the time.  She had to have been so frightened there with all of the people and commotion.  It took a lot of time and patience (which I had) to make her the loving pet she became but she never went beyond being "a one person cat".  A knock on the door would send her running.  If any of my family wanted to see her, they had to get down on their hands and knees to peek under my bed.

But, she did love me so and I absoutely adored her.  She turned out to be extremely affectionate and always wanted to be with me when she wasn't sleeping.  She loved to lay on my lap and I could pet her "til the cows came home".

I am comforted by the fact that I gave her a peaceful, quiet home.  She was my baby, my little girl, and I am grief-stricken.

• Members

My cat just died yesterday for no known reason. The dr was suggesting for a autopsy but didnt want to, i burried her today she was 4yrs old i dont know why what or where it went wrong. It is so hard. It is sonpainful i dont know why i am blaming myself. She is my baby my one and only.

• Members

I understand kimmaske, the same thing happened to us, the vet said that while it's not common, cats can die of a heart attack the same as a healthy human. We too did not want an autopsy performed.

Like you, I am beyond devastated, I am a shell of a man, I move around without purpose, just muddling through. I am looking for an answer, a reason, some consolation, but I can't find any. I just cry and hurt all day, every day.  Just know you are not alone, there are many of us like you.

• Members

Your not alone, I lost Mona Girl 7 days ago. Heart episode at home. Hurts. She was my life. I lived for her. Some day I may adopt, but not now. I need plenty of time to grieve and to heal. My faith in a higher being has gotten me thru.

Archived