Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

I've heard there was a secret chord...

ikaros

• Members

I have a strong desire to grieve away from the prying eyes of my family... I heard Jeff Buckley's version of "Hallelujah" today, and I want to sing a few verses to my mom. My throat closes every time I try to utter a sound so I  hope you don't mind if I share some verses I wrote for my own version of "Hallelujah." I have never posted to a forum about something so intensely personal before, but somehow it's far easier than sharing with people I know.

I am not even certain why I want to post this, it's almost a poem and for some reason that makes me feel childish and vulnerable. (Part of me is ridiculing myself right now for taking such a popular song and garbling out my own rhymes). But I've been pretending that my mom is still alive sometimes even though she died in April. I am tortured by the memory of our last moments. I guess in a way posting here is like pretending I am actually saying it to her because I know the words could be considered by another sentient being. I mean after all, she no longer messages me on FB... I can't call her and tell her how sad I am. I see pictures of her and I know there is no longer anything tangible behind them... I know it is for selfish reasons I pretend but I'm faking my life through this grieving process anyway...

there was a day, we were alone
i told you that i loved you so
but you said "i never really knew it"
we've been at odds,
there's been a rift, close sometimes and then we drift
now you're gone; all I have is "hallelujah"

Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah

When you were young and so detached
Older now, no going back
While growing up I felt I never knew ya
You escaped somehow and left your cares
The life I lived, you left me there
And I silenced any thought of "hallelujah"

Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah

In time i learned to forgive
It's no longer about our differences
we're not alike, but it's OK we knew it
And I long to hear your voice again
The sorrow is more than I can stand
A twisted vow, a halting "hallelujah..."

Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah

I remember on the day you left
First I sighed and then I wept
You were silent until the fear grew in ya
I gazed into your pleading eyes
I held you back and I told you lies
The last breath you drew was "hallelujah"

Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah

I don't believe in God above
I do believe we end in love
Doesn't matter what dogma you hold to ya

"And it's not a cry that you hear at night
It's not somebody who's seen the light
It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah"

Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah

Mom, I don't feel like I can do this. Mom, I wish you were here I am so mad! I love you! I'm sorry! I know you love me, too. I'm so angry at you! And me...

I want to beg you to come back! No matter how silly it is, just come back! You were supposed to come back! What shall I do, now? Come back, mom, please! 

Silly rant...

• Members

Thank you, Kirsten. I almost ran back and deleted, I was so embarrassed the next day. I don't know why I care; My mom is gone and I can't stand my family right now. Sigh.

I am sorry for your loss. I just float through this forum now and then because I'd rather talk to strangers. Thank you just for saying that it was OK to blurt it out. 

Hugs. Ashley

• Members

No, don't do that. I actually did something similar after residing your post. Can I say it's weird you and my sister have the same name!

Hope you're doing okay today and I'm the same I float around here too.

hugs, Kirsten

• Members

No, don't do that. I actually did something similar after residing your post. Can I say it's weird you and my sister have the same name!

Hope you're doing okay today and I'm the same I float around here too.

hugs, Kirsten

Archived