Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Mother Still Here But Afraid For My Future Without Her

DixieDoodle78

• Members
DixieDoodle78

My mother has been fighting a year and three month battle with brain cancer - glioblastoma multiforme - and seems to be doing well.

However, yesterday, we hit a slight bump in the road with her latest MRI. They saw a "white dot" but cannot tell us exactly what it is. Her

blood series looks good, so they don't think it is an "active" cell or anything horrible. Best case scenario, it could be radiation scar tissue.

But the neurooncolgist is going to do another MRI much sooner, 6 weeks from now, to check and see. Worse case scenario, it could be

a cancer cell growing again.

This event put me in a new tailspin of emotions and I can't stop crying about the thought that I will lose her eventually. I am afraid that

I will be alone, that I am not strong enough to exist without her and what would my purpose in life be? We are extremely close and I am

an only child.

Do you have any advice for me as a 30 something year old who is fortunate to still have her parent?

• Members

Hugs Dixie

Sorry that you are going through this and I'll keep your mother in my prayers.  The best advice that I can offer is to enjoy and cherish every moment that you have with mother and all of the people that you love because none of us know when we'll be leaving this world.  I've heard of people who have been told by doctors that they have 6 months to live, yet 10 years later they are still here.  On the flip side of that, I know of people who have lived healthy lives yet passed away suddenly at a young age. 

The most important suggestion I would share with you is to NEVER give up hope and encourage your mother to do the same.  

take care and God bless

Cindy Jane

• Members
Jackieangel84

Cherish every second. My mom died yesterday from brain cancer. She was my best friend and Rock in my life. I am completely lost and unable to even begin to process. I know it's not what you want to hear but every second you have with her is a gift. I am still in shock and sorrow. I just want you to make sure that even in these times of worry and heartache when the future is unknown look to these moments. Grow from the pain and live in the moment. The future can be a scary place, but it can also be bright.

Archived