Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My dad killed himself

Haley12354

• Members

My dad was abusive and did drugs and was an alcoholic all his life and then my parents got a divorce about 3 1/2 years ago. Well about a year ago he killed himself he overdosed on heroine he has tried to kill himself many times before I have have ever found him once. I was so angry at him all these years that it blinded my love for him because even tho he wasn't good he had many good qualities and I miss him a lot I am somewhat like him. I feel very lost and confused still my emotions change constantly and it sucks. My mom remarried a few years ago and he is in the military so I am stationed overseas. When my dad died his parents didn't call so I had no clue for awhile I missed the funeral and everything and I didn't get to have any of his belongings and it's been tough and my relationship with my mother has gotten worse I hate it I want to graduate and just give up and do whatever.

• Members
mydeepestthoughts

First of all, condolences to you and your family. I know you are hurting. To lose a dear one to our great enemy death is devastating. And to not have the opportunity to say your farewells is troubling. At times like this a personal relationship with God can help us to cope with feelings of despair. We may wonder can this really help? Read Psalm 56:8

"You keep track of my wandering.

Do collect my tears in your skin bottle.Are they not recorded in your book?"

So God does care about your tears of sadness, and hopelessness. But have you ever wondered if God exist "Why does he allow suffering"

Please click on the following link, for this and many more hope building answers.

http://www.jw.org/en/publications/books/know-the-truth/1102008390/

My condolences.

• Members

First of all, condolences to you and your family. I know you are hurting. To lose a dear one to our great enemy death is devastating. And to not have the opportunity to say your farewells is troubling. At times like this a personal relationship with God can help us to cope with feelings of despair. We may wonder can this really help? Read Psalm 56:8

"You keep track of my wandering.

Do collect my tears in your skin bottle.Are they not recorded in your book?"

So God does care about your tears of sadness, and hopelessness. But have you ever wondered if God exist "Why does he allow suffering"

Please click on the following link, for this and many more hope building answers.

http://www.jw.org/en/publications/books/know-the-truth/1102008390/

My condolences.

• Members

I've had a hard time um making a connection with.....God.....since my dad died I just feel like there's nothing there and I go to church three days a week but I'm just not feeling the way I used to.

• Members
mydeepestthoughts

It is understandable to feel the way you do..when we lose a loved one grief can cause a disconnect with God. We may blame him for what has happened. Sometimes we are taught by our religious leaders that it is his will that people die, and suffer. That can cause us to draw away from him, because we may reason if he is a God of love why would he allow bad things to happen us, and the ones that we love. I advise you to click on the link that I posted earlier, when you see the good things that God has promised for us in the future, it may rekindle your love for him.

• Members
silverkitties

Haley, I am so sorry for your loss. It must be terribly bewildering and sad; I can't even imagine how I'd react if the same happened to me--and I am probably much older than you.

How close are you to graduating? Is it a matter of weeks or a year? My first advice would be to see your school counselor and ask what s/he might recommend as far as graduation goes. Perhaps you can graduate on time this summer (if this is what you were aiming for); or perhaps you might have to wait a term or so. You may also want to ask him/her for help finding a grief counselor. I don't know how old you are but if you are under 21, I believe there are also some grief resources for teens.

Not least, if you are up for it, you may want to reach out to his relatives or best friends: someone you would feel comfortable with discussing your dad. I found that helpful when my own mother died last October.

• Members

Thank you for everything I just am so confused and I'm only 15 and I get drunk and smoke a lot that's why I'm like him I got the bad parts of him haha I'm actually hung over from like last night but I wanted to reply I'm just trying to graduate and get into college so that then I can hopefully just live and be happy

• Members
Babyrc13@aol.com

Drinking is a depressant it will make dealing with your father's death a lot harder...

• Members

Hugs Haley

I am so sorry for your loss.  It made me feel sad inside that you are drinking.  Like Babyrc mentioned, alcohol will only make you more depressed.   It magnifies the pain you are feeling.  There is good help out there for most anything we are going through and all we have to do is reach out for it.  I pray that you will do that.  You've been through enough and it is time to begin the healing process.

take care

Cindy Jane

Archived