Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Comfort for those who are grieving

cindyjane

• Members

Hello everyone

First off I want to say how sorry I am that all of us have had to come here, because that means that we've lost someone very important in our lives.  I've shared the story of my losses here and it really has helped me a lot because we can all relate to what each other is going through and how we're feeling.

My mom left us on Oct. 6th 2013.  11 months later, this past Sept. 17th my dad passed on as well.  Needless to say it was a tough year.  Although I've gotten much support and comfort here at this site, the most comfort I got, and still get is when I picked up the Bible and started reading it.  In reading it I can see why it is the most widely read book on the planet.  It is free for the taking at hospitals, jails, hotel rooms, nursing homes and many other places.  It is written in more languages than any other book in the world. It is God's love letter to US!  I just want to share a few scriptures that really brought me comfort with the hope that you may find some comfort too.

This first scripture Psalm 34:18 God personally invites us to come to Him for the comfort we need.  That is how much He loves us and cares about us.  "The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit."  

Mathew 5:4  "Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted."  Even though GOD has taken our parent(s) "home" and HE is joyful to have them with Him as they are to be with Him,  I believe that when we cry, God also cries because what happened on the cross tells me just how much HE loves us.

2 Corinthians 1:3-4  "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort who comforts us in our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God."  He reassures us over and over again how HE will give us the comfort we need and all we have to do is ask HIM.  He also tells us in this scripture how we will be of help to others who need comforting.  

If you have any doubt of how much he loves you, this next scripture says it all.  John 14:1-4.  I included this scripture in both my mom and dad's obituaries.  This is JESUS talking .... "Do not let your hearts be troubled.  You believe in God, believe also in me.  My Father's house has many rooms; if that were not so would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you?  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you may also be where I am. You know the way to the place I am going."  I personally found this so reassuring.  Jesus Himself comes for us when it is our time!  It took me reading the Bible often to understand the last sentence that He says here "You know the way to the place I am going."  I finally got it!  HE is the way to the place (Heaven) he was going.  All we have to do is BELIEVE! 

Anyway, please know that I am in no way trying to push what I believe on anyone.  It's just that when I went through my losses, no-one really gave me the comfort that I personally needed during that time ... until I picked up that book for myself and read it.  Just trying to help because I know how heavy your hearts are to come here.  May God bless you all with his comfort.

love

Cindy Jane 

Archived