Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Dad died,doesn't feel real

sophienewtonxx

• Members
sophienewtonxx

I lost my dad in November when I was 13, he had many illness' and suffered for many years. He died so suddenly, he went into hospital at 10am and died at 13:30pm. I just kept telling myself how he was finally out of pain but I feel like it's unreal when I think about him, Why did he leave us? Out of all the things he taught me, why didn't he teach me to live without him. I have never known real independence.

I've kept strong for my mum and younger sister but I break down over the tiniest memories of him. I forget that he is never coming back and he's not just away. Why doesn't it feel real? Why can't I cope with his loss? How long will it take for me to come to terms with the fact I will never see him again?

• Members
StayingPositive

Hi, so sorry to read about your loss.

Feeling the way you do is completely natural.. So don't worry about that. There isn't really a time limit.. You're not going to one day feel better, but day by day you get just that little bit stronger.

My Dad passed away 10 weeks ago this Saturday and it's still as raw as it was.. But I hide how I feel so people think I'm fine but I miss him so much.

Everyone deals with grief differently.

Talk to your family about how you feel, or talk to friends .. If you don't feel you want to do that, whenever you feel upset, anxious or worried.. Just write your thoughts on here and someone will respond to you. There's people on here of all ages.. Just know you're not alone.. There's sadly many many many people who feel just the way you do.

• Members
silverkitties

Sophie, I can only imagine how difficult it is to lose your dad at such a young age.

Memories can indeed sting at times: no doubt you once enjoyed some of your favorite activities with your dad and it hurts now to know you will never have those times with him again. I know how that feels all too well as I'm doing much the same, having lost my mom almost exactly 6 months ago--and I am much older than you to boot! You are to be commended for your maturity for it must be extremely challenging to keep calm around your mom and younger sister.

Healing is different for every person; it has much to do with the strength of the bond between you and the person who's passed on. As such, there is never "a limit." I do want to add that your dad could not possibly have taught you to live without him. No one is ever quite prepared for a parent's death, regardless of age. My mom certainly taught me to be independent for many, many years; in turn, I became her caretaker in her last year. Yet even that couldn't shield me from the pain of losing a best parent, friend, confidant, and mentor.

Some things did help me along the way, however; so let me make a few suggestions. I know you want to keep strong for your mom and sister; but sometimes you might just want to talk about him. Discuss what you cherished most about him; it might make you feel less alone and strengthen the love amongst your family members. Or perhaps ask some of your dad's closest relatives and friends about him. That is what I did with my mom's sisters and cousins; it helped me learn so much about her (trust me, we never know as much about our parents as we think we do!). I was fascinated to learn so much about her youth and childhood--all of which made me feel even prouder of her. Not least,  it also made me feel less lonely and isolated.

If you want to celebrate your dad's life, you might want to do a video tribute with your favorite pics and music. Start a personal journal or scrapbook. Or you might write about him here or elsewhere; tell everyone why you think he's such a special dad and what you will treasure most.

• Members
sophienewtonxx

Hi, so sorry to read about your loss.

Feeling the way you do is completely natural.. So don't worry about that. There isn't really a time limit.. You're not going to one day feel better, but day by day you get just that little bit stronger.

My Dad passed away 10 weeks ago this Saturday and it's still as raw as it was.. But I hide how I feel so people think I'm fine but I miss him so much.

Everyone deals with grief differently.

Talk to your family about how you feel, or talk to friends .. If you don't feel you want to do that, whenever you feel upset, anxious or worried.. Just write your thoughts on here and someone will respond to you. There's people on here of all ages.. Just know you're not alone.. There's sadly many many many people who feel just the way you do.

Hi, sorry for your loss.

Thank you for answering, I will come on here for help because I know many people feel the same way I do.

Archived