Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

1 Year and Just NOW Really Grieving

wingsoflife7

• Members
wingsoflife7

Feb.20,2014 Mom was a passenger in her own vehicle with a female friend of hers driving.  They were hit head on by 2 young punks who were drinking and driving.  Both of these punks got off with nothing and our family lost so much.

There are 3 of us kids, if you can call us that.  My half brother is in prison and my half sister in about 2 hours south of me.  My sister and I had not spoken for years and the night of her accident we both agreed that we would put the past in the past.  Little did we know the things we would learn in the coming months.

Mom was in the hospital for approx. a month after the accident.  She had trauma to her head which caused a bleed, a broken nose, broken rib, and her right eye was unable to open but had vision.  She died from massive blood clots to her lungs.

To get to my problems now.....For a whole year my sister and I dealt with the mess that was left behind.  Our mother loved garage sales and had a perpetual one of her own.  building upon building of "stuff".  Not valuable, just stuff.  Since our dad died 11 years ago and our brother ending up in prison mom had begun to care less and less about home.  We had one hell of a mess.  Literally mouse crap and moldy messes and oh so much stuff.  It took us from March of 2014 until  December 2014 to get the majority done.

So NOW I am going crazy.  When its sunny out and I can feel spring I cry and I eat and eat and eat.  When its grey I cry and eat and eat and eat.  I was on a good path just before mom had the accident and now...now I am eating myself into a ball of flab and I am crying and feeling like I "Should have" a year ago.

Am I totally loosing it.  Has anyone else had this happen.  How can I get a handle on it?

Help PLEASE!

• Members

Sandy, 

You are not losing it. You are feeling absolutely what others have gone through. I'm no expert, but it seems like you focused on getting things done, and now you are taking time to grieve. Have you considered counseling or a grief support group? Do they have any in your area? It's so okay to cry. I didn't really cry about my dad for the first year because I was just way too busy. I mean, I cried and mourned, but not like I did later. 

Have you tried walking or some type of exercise? Do you work? Do you have friends that are supportive? 

We will be here for you,

ModKonnie

• Members
wingsoflife7

I work full time.  I am seeing my depression doctor on Tuesday and I just finished sending an email request to our Company's Health Benefits provider.  I need someone to hold me accountable I don't think I can do this one my own and it is becoming a downward spiral.

I asked my doctor to prescribe something to help the eating and was told that it is not advisable for a woman MY AGE>  I am 53.  THAT, just made it worse.  So a woman MY AGE must not be worth the effort to help is what I felt.  I am pissed off at myself, the doctor, so many people, and yes even MOM.  I know its part of the process but I don't want to be like this.

I want to exercise but I am going to have surgery May 1 to reattach the glut muscle on my left hip which I injured before moms death and didn't['t get time to take care of until now. (Just one more thing that is eating at me)

Friends  No, none!

• Members
StayingPositive

Hi,

The first thing that springs to mind is .. You need to calm down. Being hysterical isn't going to help or solve anything.

My father passed away in January and was/is the closest person in my life and I can relate slightly as since he is no longer here I've been eating a lot of junk food .. Ordering dominos at midnight even. (Which is very unusual for me).

You're eating to comfort the emotions you're feeling.. Rather than eat excessively, when you're upset, talk about how you're feeling to friends, family.. Even on this site. There's many people here all feeling similar and going through similar situations.. Feel comforted you're not going through this alone.

Try not to get dependent on depression medication if you've been prescribed it .. It won't help long term. For now you need to take time out for yourself but try and breath and be as calm as you possibly can be.

You are not alone .. Deep down you know that.

If you need to talk I'm available

• Members
JeanMihalick

I understand! I probably gained 50 lbs in the 6 months since my mom passed. All I want to do is eat and cry. Been on depression and anxiety meds but they aren't helping.

I'm also here for you. Send me a message if you want.

Archived