Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My mom passed and now I'm getting shut out.

Kellyj317

• Members

My mom and I were best friends. Only 18 years apart. For ten years it was just us. Then she remarried - he never liked me, abusive verbally, always had to protect my mom. My sister is 11 years younger than me.

My mom was in the hospital for 6 weeks, I was with her everyday, sometimes twice a day, even when she was moved to another hospital. I can count how many times her husband was there.

Well, he didn't like that she made me her proxy. He made big trouble at the hospital, even as the end of my mom's life neared.all I ever did was follow what my mom wanted. Needless to say, since she passed my life has turned upside down...my sister won't talk to me, mom's husband has made my life miserable(telling lies about me) and my anxiety has taken on a new level. All I want to do is grieve.

Any advice?

• Members

Do you need this man in your life?  You don't say how old you are?  Do you live in his household?

• Members

Sorry. I'm 44. He is 74. Married to my mom almost 35 years.

No I don't need him at all. But I want my sister back. I don't know what crap he is telling her.

• Members

oh okay, well you're not a kid. so that helps!!  What a jerk!!  and at 74, shouldn't he be doing other things!, ugggh!  Unfortunately, your sister will have to make up her own mind, but that doesn't mean you can't stop reaching out to her and telling her how much you love her.  She will have to decide to listen to his lies, hopefully she will not.  I'm sure in due time she will come around.  Perhaps she is just grieving and is lost too, and may just not have the courage and strength for everything right now.

I'm sorry you are going through this... it's hard enough to lose our Mom's, let alone this crap.  She won't talk to you at all?

• Members
blackbutafly

Im sorry you are going through this. Death brings out a lot of family drama. My sisters and i are close but after my dad died, we began to argue. So many things needed to be handled and we didnt all agree how and sometimes debated who was taking on more. Grief sometimes prevents us from thinking clearly. Give your sis some time and space and let her know you are there whenever she needs you. Step dad....who cares about him if he is causing you nothing but grief.please dont allow others to make this process harder for you than it already is.

Archived