Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Where do you go from here? Losing my younger brother.

Lulu.Rose93

• Members

Seven months ago I lived my worst nightmare. My youngest sibling who had only been 19 years old a month was killed in a four-wheeling accident.

I remember everything clear as day, even down to the fact that it was a hot sunny day.

That morning my brother hadn't come home. I didn't think anything of it, as he had done it previously. I was visiting with family going over plans for my wedding that would follow a week later. We all silenced when a call came over the scanner about a woman calling in a wrecked four-wheeler that she wanted the police department to check out.

My parents concerned about my brother not coming home, my father left to go see if it could possibly be my brother. He had crashed the the machine before but nothing severe. Next my husband and older brother left to find out where the scene was. I stayed and went with my mother, brother's girlfriend and niece.

Racing to figure out where the scene was, we finally spot my father's truck. My mother hurries to get out of the vehicle to talk to my father. I knew something wasn't right when I heard her crying. I ran to them and asked "what's wrong?". My father hugged me and my mother and told me "he didn't make, we lost him." My world came crashing down on my sholders. All I could do was cry, hug them harder and repeatly say no.

The whole week I was in a daze for his fire, going to the funeral home for arrangements, etc. His funeral was a day before my rehearsal dinner.

So seven months later I'm still going threw the "firsts" without him. It killed me for the fact that he wasn't able to see his son's first birthday party, but it eased me a little that he came to me in a dream telling me his was gonna be there in spirit.

So where does one go from here?

R.I.P. Joseph. I love and miss you more than you will ever know!!

• Members

Lulu Rose,

I am so very sorry about the loss of your brother. I lost my older brother when he was 21 to a car wreck. I heard the sirens, but we had no clue it was him. When the police showed up to the door, it was a staggering, horrific nightmare. 

In time, I can tell you, you will eventually be able to laugh at fond memories of him (although they will be tinged with sorrow for what he never became). You will see him through his son (we weren't that fortunate), and he will live in your memories. The pain lessens to a dull throb. It will be okay, in time. For now, cry when you want to, laugh at silly memories of him, and just feel how you need to feel. 

ModKonnie

• Members
mydeepestthoughts

My condolences during this great time of sorrow.As you reflect on the passing of your loved one, many emotions may come across you..sorrow, despair, pain, and anger.We go through a gamut of emotions, because no matter how aware we are of death,it is not a natural thing. We were created to want to live forever,and to be with our loved ones to times indefinite. Did you know that the bible agrees with those feelings?.. Read Eccl 3:11. " He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has even put eternity in their heart; yet mankind will never find out the work that the true God has made from start to finish. Yes, God has put into us the desire to want to live, and the means to enjoy life.

So why does bad things happen to good people..like it did to your dear brother? Why do we die? What happens to us when we die? Why does God allow suffering, and death?

Please take a moment to examine the enclosed tract entitled "Would you like to know the truth?, On the following link: http://www.jw.org/en/publications/books/know-the-truth/1102008390/#?insight[search_id]=9d5d3783-fa12-4251-b9b6-a31115823148&insight[search_result_index]=0 It will answer these, and many more questions that you may have, and though your world has been turned upside down..it will provide you with the ability to have hope, and peace of mind.

My condolences.

• Members

ModKonnie,

My heart goes out to you also!! Thank you for the kind words, I'm on the road to healing that much more with grieving.

Archived