Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

I feel a part of me went away too.....

ibarnard

• Members

I can't breathe. I'm ok then I burst into tears hysterically. I loved my father so much. It's going to be so hard without him.

• Members

I am so sorry for your loss and what you are going through.  Losing my parents is the hardest thing I've ever gone through in my life.  It does take your breath away and leaves us feeling so numb inside.  The only thing that gets me through those rough moments is to lean on my faith.  In doing that I am able to see how blessed I was to have them as parents.  In seeing those blessings I am able to feel grateful which in turn takes away the heaviness of my heart.  

We are always going to miss our loved ones who leave us but I believe that one day we will be reunited with them again and until then I try to focus on being the best person I can be.  

My mom passed away 16 months ago ... my dad 5 months ago (both parents in less than a year).  Prior to my dad's passing, he said something to me that keeps me going.  He said, "Cindy, we never get over it, we get on with it."  He did just that!  As heart broken as he was to lose my mom, he continued to do the things he's always done ... work in his garden, work his part-time job, go to the grocery store, go for coffee with his friends, etc.  In watching him do these things I learned a lot.  After he passed away I just felt like isolating from everyone and never leaving my house.  Then I remembered his wise words and how he got on with it ... even with such a heavy heart.  

The thing that really helps me get through those rough periods in missing my parents so much is in knowing that they would want the best for me .. they would want me to carry on with my life and be the best person that I can be so in honour of them I try to be that person as much as I can.  Your dad would want the same for you ... all of our parents would want that.

May God bless you and bring you comfort.

Cindy Jane 

• Members
carolann12345

I know how you feel Ibarnard and I am so sorry for your loss. My father died 41 years ago when I was 17 and I felt my world collapsed around me that a huge part of me died when he died.  My Mom did not handle his death at all and I with the help of a cousin arranged his funeral.  I still miss him every day and although you never really get over the death of anyone you truly love you learn to live with the loss but always remember that your father loved you and he would want you to live your life to the full. While he is not here physically he will always be with you in your heart and he will always be here to watch over you. I lost my Mom two years ago after nursing her for several years. There is no shame in crying I often cry for my parents the fact I cannot see them hurts but I believe that she and my Dad are now together on the other side and I will see them again when it is my time to die. The thought of us all being together again keeps me going each day. I talk to them both every day and if that helps you  and I know some people think that is a stupid thing to do but if it helps you try doing that or keep a journal of how you feel if you have difficulty in talking about your feelings on losing your Dad. I promise it will help. Sadly those of us who have had great parents will at some time lose them but think of all the happy times you had with your Dad and how much he loved you and how much he would want you achieve with your life.  The best thing he did was bring you into this world to have a good life and please do not forget that. You and I were lucky in that we had fathers that loved us not everyone is so lucky.  Sending you lots of love and hugs. Carol

Archived